My rooster is being aggressive towards me for no apparent reason?

I trust he is not around any small children. I had a 3-yo rooster that attacked me "for no reason" and "out of nowhere." He raked the back of my legs and when I turned to face him he came at my face. I blocked him with my cane (I was in my late 60's at the time) but he kept coming at me. He got me full force in the knee with his beak and nearly took me down. I tried defending myself with my cane but he wouldn't stop. My DH rescued me. He did not see another sun rise. I now have a "one strike, you're out" policy with aggressive roosters. Someone younger, stronger and braver might try to rehab one, but I won't.

I think the rooster should treat ME with respect, and if he's in my path, he's the one who should move out of my way. I am not submissive to the rooster in any way. At the moment I have an amazing rooster who definitely knows his place and respects me. I did not have to teach him this. He rules the roost - and I rule the rooster.
I 100% agree. I currently have 5 roosters- not a single one dares to try and attack me or to bite. Well, with the exception of my 11wk old BO. But that's because he thought my scar was a tasty treat lol.

All of my boys were raised with love and at the first sign of any challenging or aggression, the human's hand would come out atop their back and hold them down. 3 of my roos are little cuddle bugs now despite being 2yrs old- though, they do have their own squabbles that I end up having to nurse and clean :rolleyes::barnie

Hopefully your roo calms down a bit and learns that you're head of the flock!

I trust he is not around any small children. I had a 3-yo rooster that attacked me "for no reason" and "out of nowhere." He raked the back of my legs and when I turned to face him he came at my face. I blocked him with my cane (I was in my late 60's at the time) but he kept coming at me. He got me full force in the knee with his beak and nearly took me down. I tried defending myself with my cane but he wouldn't stop. My DH rescued me. He did not see another sun rise. I now have a "one strike, you're out" policy with aggressive roosters. Someone younger, stronger and braver might try to rehab one, but I won't.
Yessir 100% you do not have to go through that there's plenty of pleasant chickens out there, one aggressive rooster is not worth investing in. I don't know why with this rooster i so wanted to keep him iev gotten rid of any aggressive rooster previously. But he hasn't attacked me or anyone again it's the only reason he's still here.

No he's not around any small hens and we have a decent amount of space to run and escape and hide for any chicken from another chicken he's also around other rooster whom are above him and they keep eachother in check for the most part

Yes it's genetics that's just his personality. And yes it is out of nowhere iev had him for 15months and I feed them like iev done almost every day for the past 15months and then I just sit in the garden for an hour depending on the weather and leave. Let me paint a picture. One day I go to feed my chickens he does too eats out of my hand! Normal! Its a nice day sun is out I sit for about 30mins all chickens come say hi including him I give them a few more treats for coming to me. I get up and start walking away I get attacked!?? Woah 😳 he's just attacked me out of nowhere. what's going on? BYC help!
He sounds like the 18 pound orange cat. He is quite the charmer, he meows like Pavarotti.

In his case, he obviously appreciates the milk and food.

But when he engages in playful behavior, it's too much, for a person unless they're wearing leather or chain mail.

Back
Top Bottom