My rooster, Warren Jeffs, hates me

I have tried EVERYTHING I've read without just downright culling him... I have hawks and so I appreciate what he does for the girls. I would prefer to try and keep him around...it's just annoying that I can't go into the yard without having to yell "Warren!!" every minute.
Have you tried a fence?

It will not help when you are inside with him, but tends to work very well when you and the rooster are on opposite sides. He can't get you, you can ignore him, and there is not problem at that instant. If you want to be inside the fence, you may be able to put the rooster outside, which again keeps you & him safe from each other.

A fence will not help re-train the rooster, but it can be an effective way to manage part of the situation without escalating it or anyone getting injured.

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate it. @Shadrach - thank you for sharing your article. I was an anthropology major and studied wildlife ecology, so it was wonderful reading your article and putting the instincts and genetics to reason! I learned a lot! I will try consistency, and be careful not to be aggressive back and see if that helps. I tend to love on my hens and they love a good cuddle, so I bet that has something to do with the aggression as well seeing that they shake off when I put them down, almost as if they've been mated. He definitely sees me as competition. Hopefully he'll calm down with some consistent, non-threatening behavior.

Thanks again!
The most important thing to understand is the hens are the roosters hens, not yours.
Next is always offer food to the rooster first and let him decide when and what the hens can have. It will be a bit bumpy to start with but most hard to deal with roosters realise you are not trying to compete with them after a while.
Last but not least, wear appropriate clothing and if it all goes wrong you won't get hurt.

So, my rooster used to love being held, raised him as a chick. He was the first one to come up to me and sit on my shoulder when he was a cockerel, and then he matured. I understand that natural roo behavior once they mature is they become more...roostery, and I appreciate that. BUT, he definitely started perceiving me as a threat when that happened, and started puffing up and crowing whenever I came close to show his dominance. Then it escalated to charging, pecking, and full on kicking. I have tried EVERYTHING I've read without just downright culling him. I've held him down on the ground like he does to hens to assert dominance. Not hard, but just hold him there and pull on his neck feathers. I read that can help with submission. I've put my foot up to him when he goes after me and block his kicks, and I've read that can help but also display that he needs to keep after me. I've lightly pushed him away with my boot. I've held him upside down. I've picked him up in front of the hens and carried him away from them to gently set him down. Everything tells me something different, and sometimes the suggestions are contradicting. I mean....I feel like I've done everything at this point. Is there anything else I can try? I have hawks and so I appreciate what he does for the girls. I would prefer to try and keep him around. They seem happier, lay often, and he has NEVER gone after them. He's always a perfect gentleman to his hens, but boy he HATES me. I don't have any kids, and he doesn't have spurs so his kicks don't do a ton of damage, but it's just annoying that I can't go into the yard without having to yell "Warren!!" every minute. Maybe it's the name that's got him embarrassed ;) any advice? Or am I destined to rehome him?
I carry a herding stick, hard plastic. He probably won't ever stop. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom