My Rouen ducks can fly!

Thank you! They are almost 8 months old and we’re estimating they weigh around 6 lbs. They started flying a couple of months ago - just 3 feet off the ground for 15 feet or so as I walked them from their pen to the lake. Then one day Dally flew right past me! Dilly was a little larger than Dally and couldn’t fly at first but it just took about a week and she was flying too! Then they started flying out over the water before they’d land. Now they fly from one end of our cove to the other. The bad thing is that we can’t make them come in now. The past month they’ve chosen to stay on the water most nights. But today it’s going to storm and I want them to come in but they won’t follow me. They’ll come initially but then they turn around and go back in the water. If we try to corral them, they just fly over us - so frustrating! Hopefully we’ll have more luck shortly.
Are there any treats that they find particularly tasty? Mealworms, perhaps?

So about 2 months ago our girls started flying a bit - and now they can fly 30 feet high for 600 feet or more! They love flying over our lake making a turn and skiing on their feet into the water. Now I know everyone is probably thinking we have mallards but the wild mallards are much much smaller than our girls and they have all of the markings of a Rouen. But I wanted to post their pictures and see what y’all think.
I have a Rouen duck named, Cheese & he can fly too. I was told repeatly by the store I bought him that it's not possible...but I see he do it everyday. His partner, Quackers is a Cuyga duck and bigger so he doesn't fly as high or as long. Your ducks are adorable by the way 😊

My Rouen drake, about 9lbs could fly very well, his only offspring was a Cayuga cross, she could also fly well, just not as high. I tend to think it's more about wingspan and wing shape than it is about weight.
_20161007_001611~2.JPG
_20170314_094324~2.JPG

Back
Top Bottom