My Sebbie has some feathers ripped out!!!

Michelle_my_bell

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
Fletcher
Sebastapol Goose/Male/3 yrs old

I noticed a couple of days ago that a few feathers were missing on the underside of his right wing, a little blood, nothing to panic over. When I checked on him today he is missing more feathers, and a cuticle is exposed now. These particular feathers have always grown in "weird", they tend to stick straight out to the side instead of growing in the same direction as the other feathers, it's the only way I can actually tell my 2 babies apart :) Are they bugging him now? Is he doing this to himself I wonder; Weird it's only those specific feathers that are damaged.
I only have the 2 male Sebbies, and neither of them has any other "obvious" injuries, I've seen Gus give Fletcher shit to get him out of the pool but they don't fight or anything like that. I check their house and yard daily, did not find anything that he would have hurt himself on.

Do I need to do anything with this or will Fletcher manage it on his own? I am a first time goose owner, and they have never had any issues in the 3 years i've had them so I'm not sure when I need to intervene with a vet for stuff like this :/

Attachments

• IMG_2138.jpg
    IMG_2138.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2140.jpg
    IMG_2140.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2143.jpg
    IMG_2143.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I'd monitor closely as Gus may be getting sexual aggressive with Fletcher. It's that time of year. Sometimes it becomes necessary to separate male waterfowl during the breeding season.

The reason the feathers stick out is called Angle wing, and it's caused from an improper feed when they were goslings. It can be irritating to them. Angle wing is where the feathers twist and grow outwards. You're only able to fix this when it first begins to develop. If you don't see them attacking each other and there isn't any areas where he could've gotten hurt, it might be from him pulling on them, or he's molting. Male geese, especially around breeding season, can pick at each other, so be careful that they're not being aggressive towards one another. Blue Kote is great for stopping geese from pecking at their feathers and stopping the bleeding. You can also use corn starch to stop bleeding. This might also be from the weather. Because he has weak and fragile feathers where the angle wing has developed, those feathers can be more prone to injuries and bleeding.

I'd monitor closely as Gus may be getting sexual aggressive with Fletcher. It's that time of year. Sometimes it becomes necessary to separate male waterfowl during the breeding season.
The reason the feathers stick out is called Angle wing, and it's caused from an improper feed when they were goslings. It can be irritating to them. Angle wing is where the feathers twist and grow outwards. You're only able to fix this when it first begins to develop. If you don't see them attacking each other and there isn't any areas where he could've gotten hurt, it might be from him pulling on them, or he's molting. Male geese, especially around breeding season, can pick at each other, so be careful that they're not being aggressive towards one another. Blue Kote is great for stopping geese from pecking at their feathers and stopping the bleeding. You can also use corn starch to stop bleeding. This might also be from the weather. Because he has weak and fragile feathers where the angle wing has developed, those feathers can be more prone to injuries and bleeding.
Definitely not Angelswing, His wing/wrist is not turned out at all, they both lay flat to his sides. One of the first things we checked when he was a baby and the feathers started poking out. The feathers just grow wonky on that one side.

Wow, I had no idea the males would go after each other even when there are no females to compete for. I'll keep my eye on Gus!!!

Back
Top Bottom