My silkie rooster is unable to stand! Please help!

alinkayukh

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2023
I thought my rooster had vent fleet, so I quarantined him and started treating him for that. But today I found mites or lice? On him. They are small orangish bugs. I’m shocked because I’ve bathed him every day for 3 days, looked him over and never saw any. Anyways, this morning I checked up on him and he is unable to stand. He tries but unable to balance and flops over. I’ve treated him with ivermectin along with my whole flock and cleaned their coop/run. I’ve made him some scrambled eggs with meal worms, he’s taken a few bites here and there. I’ve given him some nutri drench directly and I’ve also added some in his water. Is there anything else I should be doing? He is such a sweet rooster, I would be devastated to lose him.

It might be the mites caused anemia. What you're doing is good to replenish his vitamins. I'd get him some probiotics too. Sugarfree Greek yogurt, or powders like HydroHen for the water.

If you see any more mites or signs of them, I'd get some Permethrin powder and dust him and the coop. He should rebound fast once the mites are gone and he's getting these supplements.

If he doesn't, let us know because losing the ability to stand can be other things unrelated to mites.

It might be the mites caused anemia. What you're doing is good to replenish his vitamins. I'd get him some probiotics too. Sugarfree Greek yogurt, or powders like HydroHen for the water.

If you see any more mites or signs of them, I'd get some Permethrin powder and dust him and the coop. He should rebound fast once the mites are gone and he's getting these supplements.

If he doesn't, let us know because losing the ability to stand can be other things unrelated to mites.
I really really hope he gets better. Would Sevin powder work?

I thought my rooster had vent fleet, so I quarantined him and started treating him for that. But today I found mites or lice? On him. They are small orangish bugs. I’m shocked because I’ve bathed him every day for 3 days, looked him over and never saw any. Anyways, this morning I checked up on him and he is unable to stand. He tries but unable to balance and flops over. I’ve treated him with ivermectin along with my whole flock and cleaned their coop/run. I’ve made him some scrambled eggs with meal worms, he’s taken a few bites here and there. I’ve given him some nutri drench directly and I’ve also added some in his water. Is there anything else I should be doing? He is such a sweet rooster, I would be devastated to lose him.
Please post photos of your rooster, his vent, his legs and his poop.
Thanks!

How were you treating him for Vent Gleet -what were you using?

How old is he?

What dose Ivermectin did you give?

What do you feed, including treats?

Has your rooster been dewormed - if so, when and what was used (product and dose)?

Can you I.D. the bugs? If mites, then the Ivermectin can help treat those, if Lice, not as effective.
If he's got bugs on him, then I'd dust him with a Permethrin based poultry dust, you can find this at TSC or similar stores.

If he's unable to stand, then I'd keep working on hydration and getting the PND into him for now. Direct dose is 1cc per 3lbs of weight daily.

When you can, I'd get a bottle of B-Complex and Vitamin E (400IU) and give him these vitamins instead of PND. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 1 Vitamin E gel every day for a couple of weeks. PND does not contain any B2(Riboflavin) which is essential for leg support, but it's a good quick uptake booster to have on hand.

Sugarfree Greek yogurt
Plain unsweetened yogurt would be better. "Sugarfree" usually means artificial sweeteners.

Please post photos of your rooster, his vent, his legs and his poop.
Thanks!

How were you treating him for Vent Gleet -what were you using?

How old is he?

What dose Ivermectin did you give?

What do you feed, including treats?

Has your rooster been dewormed - if so, when and what was used (product and dose)?

Can you I.D. the bugs? If mites, then the Ivermectin can help treat those, if Lice, not as effective.
If he's got bugs on him, then I'd dust him with a Permethrin based poultry dust, you can find this at TSC or similar stores.

If he's unable to stand, then I'd keep working on hydration and getting the PND into him for now. Direct dose is 1cc per 3lbs of weight daily.

When you can, I'd get a bottle of B-Complex and Vitamin E (400IU) and give him these vitamins instead of PND. Give 1/4 tablet B-Complex and 1 Vitamin E gel every day for a couple of weeks. PND does not contain any B2(Riboflavin) which is essential for leg support, but it's a good quick uptake booster to have on hand.

Plain unsweetened yogurt would be better. "Sugarfree" usually means artificial sweeteners.
IMG_7909.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7910.jpeg
    IMG_7910.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 7
He’s getting worse :( I found out it’s lice and I’ve treated him with permethrin. He’s taking deep breathes, sometimes I hear wheezing when I move him. Can’t get him to eat anything.
Oh I'm sorry!

It sounds like he may not make it.

Is vet care an option?

You may have to move him around a little and find a position where he's able to breath easier, but if he's breathing deeply this may be a sign that he's actively dying.

Will he take sips or drops of water and is he able to swallow? If so, keep working on getting fluids into him.

I posted in my Facebook group and someone suggested I treat him with corid for Coccidiosis. I gave him a 3ml dose of pure corid, and he seemed to perk up. Got him to eat one whole sardine and I’ve been giving him 2 syringes to corid mixed with water every couple of hours. He seems to be a LITTLE better!

I posted in my Facebook group and someone suggested I treat him with corid for Coccidiosis. I gave him a 3ml dose of pure corid, and he seemed to perk up. Got him to eat one whole sardine and I’ve been giving him 2 syringes to corid mixed with water every couple of hours. He seems to be a LITTLE better!
Could just be the fact that you're getting some fluid into him no and he's dehydrated.

3ml direct dose of Liquid Corid is TOO MUCH. While Corid is mild and you have wiggle room for dosing, you can overdose.

Direct Oral Dose of Liquid Corid is 0.10ml per pound of weight, given 2X a day for 3 days.

The direct dose is in addition to giving mixed Corid water multiple times a day if he's not drinking on his own.

Dose for Liquid Corid to be mixed in the drinking water is 2 teaspoons of Liquid Corid to 1 gallon of drinking water given as the sole source of water for 5-7 days.

Do not give any extra vitamins or supplements that contain B1 (Thiamine) during the course of treatment with Corid.

Back
Top Bottom