My three chickens are not eating, and it seems like it's been months

SnowdogHERA

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 3, 2017
I could use some advice.
They stopped laying about four months ago and their food consumption dropped off. I figured it was molting. After a few weeks, I bought some fresh feed, which helped a bit, but now the fresher feed doesn't seem to interest them at all.
They free range a few times a week and they eat bugs, scratch and vegetables we give them, but not the feed pellets.
They look like they've lost weight, their feathers are looking awful.
Advice would help.

Hi Snowdog, Is it possible to post some pictures of your chickens?
How old are they?
Do you deworm them sometimes?
Here you go. They are about 3-4 years old. We haven't dewormed them.
They just look skinnier, scraggly feathers, haven't been eating and haven't laid eggs in a couple of months. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20231026_101950cropped.jpg
    20231026_101950cropped.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 9
The feathers just look old and worn. If they aren't molting, then they likely will soon. Have you seen more feathers laying around the coop and run lately? Look all over them for any pin feathers coming in anywhere. Under wings, around the vent, around the face/neck. Sometimes molt is very gradual and you really have to look for it. That will stop them laying until it's complete, and sometimes they don't eat well during molt. The one in front also has paler wattles and comb, which also happens during molt as hormones are very low. Try offering some higher protein, a flock raiser, or starter grower feed in the 18-20 percent range can help, scrambled or cooked eggs, canned tuna, see if they will eat any of that. Feathers take a lot of protein to make, so extra protein during molt can help.

Yes, feathers are about. We wondered about molting, but was thrown off by their not eating. Thanks for the suggestions. We will start working on those.

Back
Top Bottom