Mycoplasmosis

raqjua

Chirping
Dec 23, 2021
I bought 4 clicks at my local feed store. They were different breeds. Put my beautiful motherly silky in the brother to keep them warm. The two small ones died. Noticed the bigger one making noises when breathing put a few drops of the med in the yellow box. One morning when I went to check on them my silkie was dead. They seen ok. I wanted to take pictures of them and I saw the Grey one with a clear water bubble on one eye. Researched looks like mycoplasma. Very contagious might not die but get the other chickens sick. I have other two silkies here in the city and my flock of close to 30 in the country. Left to spend Christmas in the country. Left them with feed and water. 5 days later they are still alive and look better. I have eggs in my 2 incubators in the city fixng to hatch. What do I do?

Let the eggs hatch, but don’t give away or sell any of them because they could be carrying the MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) bacteria as the infected parent birds who laid the eggs can pass it to the offspring through the embryo. I suggest keeping a closed flock and not bringing in anymore birds nor selling or giving away any until they have all passed naturally in time. You can treat with antibiotics to ease the symptoms, but it won’t cure it as symptoms will reappear again whenever stress occurs.

Let the eggs hatch, but don’t give away or sell any of them because they could be carrying the MG (Mycoplasma Gallisepticum) bacteria as the infected parent birds who laid the eggs can pass it to the offspring through the embryo. I suggest keeping a closed flock and not bringing in anymore birds nor selling or giving away any until they have all passed naturally in time. You can treat with antibiotics to ease the symptoms, but it won’t cure it as symptoms will reappear again whenever stress occurs.
The eggs that are about to hatch are from my two silkies that have not had any contact with the two chicks that are sick.

Ah ok, then keep them separate or rehome them. If your chickens are just for pets and for yourself, then just add them into the flock. It’s really up to you with what you’d like to do with the babies.

Back
Top Bottom