Mystery Green Layer

How strange! The pekins and blue Swedish I've had laid white eggs. Maybe off white with the swedish.

How strange! The pekins and blue Swedish I've had laid white eggs. Maybe off white with the swedish.
It's definitely not thePekin, shes in a seperate pen woth the scovies. I'm thinking it's probably the cambell, since where they're being laid is pretty tight for everyone else to bother going to

I have a green layer, but am unsure who and am trying to narrow it down. I'm selling a rouen in a couple days and don't want to accidentally sell the only green layer I have so far (roughly half of my older batch is laying now).

So I guess I'm asking if anyone knows who is most likely to be laying a green egg (I can get a comparison of it next to the white normal eggs tomorrow morning)
Breeds that are old enough to be suspects:
Pekin (normal, not jumbo)
Khaki
Rouen
Blue Swedish

I have one Rouen that is seperared with two other ducks just to see if the egg comes from that pen tomorrow or Sunday. If it comes from somewhere else, I'll at least know that she isn't the layer and can sell her
I've read swedish eggs can be tinted. I have some and usually they're white but occasionally they have a darker tint to them

Okay. Looks like some digging has made it likely the Rouens. So my question now I guess is if this is something I can breed for? The male is a blue Swedish, and I'm unsure how the green for ducks works. Only that I saw that hatching from green doesn't guarantee a green layer.
I just found this thread (a bit late), and I don't actually know about duck eggs....

But a quick google search turns up some articles that say the green is caused by a dominant gene, pretty much the same way it works in chickens.

So yes, that would mean you can breed for that trait. If you hatch the green eggs, you should get either 50% or 100% daughters that lay green, depending on whether that mother has one or two genes for the green egg color (that is assuming the father does not have the gene for green shells. If he does, of course that changes the odds in favor of more daughters who lay green, although never higher than 100%).

Back
Top Bottom