naked neck pullet integration?

Aneury Sanchez

Chirping
Dec 8, 2022
Hello, I want to know what would be the best way to integrate a naked neck pullet into a group of chickens that have never seen a naked neck, they really gang up on her mostly?

I don't suggest putting only one chicken in a flock by itself, especially if there's no others like it. How old is it? How many chickens are there in the flock and what is their average age? What breeds are in the flock? The best way to integrate a new bird into a flock is to sneak them in after dark. Just place her on the perch with the others in the dark, so nobody sees the new one come in. After that, expect two weeks for the pecking order to be settled. That is, if there is no hiding spots for the newbie. Providing hiding spots causes the pecking order to take longer to adjust and can prove unhealthy to the newbie. (If the newbie is always hiding, it can become dehydrated and starve.)

Adding a single bird is the most difficult addition. Adding one that looks weird will be harder. Do NOT add one bird to an established flock.

Rather, add a bird to her. There will be a dust up, but one on one, tends to settle quickly. Wait a week, in a see no touch situation, then add the pair to the flock.

She is about 2.5 months old and has 7 other chicks in her group but she is the only naked neck. The group I want to mix them with is about 6 weeks older then them. The older group is a group of mixed breeds comprised of isa brown, broiler, black sex-link and feral game type chickens all have a copper Maran father. Her 7 group mates are f2 Sapphire splash and sapphire splash x sapphire gem crosses.

Back
Top Bottom