Need advice about chicken coop size

I currently have four nine month old large breed pullets (a blue splash maran, an easter egger, a naked neck, and an olive egger), and I'm adding four more chicks (a buff brahma, a blue laced red wyandotte, a buff orpington, and a speckled sussex) this April. We currently have our girls living in a 5 by 3.5 foot coop with two nesting boxes and a 50 sq. foot attached run. They have at least an hour in our side yard, that is about 1000 sq. feet, every day. By the time the new girls move outside we will have predator proofed the yard by getting a 6 foot tall fence and covering the yard with bird netting. I will also add an additional 35 sq. feet to the run for a total run size of 85 sq. feet, which they will stay in on rainy days. I live in a warm region of California with average temperatures in the seventies during the summer, and in the fifties to sixties during the winter, so the girls never have to be locked in the coop to stay warm. Is my coop large enough for eight hens with constant access to the run and access to the yard during most days? Also, are two nesting boxes enough for eight hens?

Thank you!

I currently have four nine month old large breed pullets (a blue splash maran, an easter egger, a naked neck, and an olive egger), and I'm adding four more chicks (a buff brahma, a blue laced red wyandotte, a buff orpington, and a speckled sussex) this April. We currently have our girls living in a 5 by 3.5 foot coop with two nesting boxes and a 50 sq. foot attached run. They have at least an hour in our side yard, that is about 1000 sq. feet, every day. By the time the new girls move outside we will have predator proofed the yard by getting a 6 foot tall fence and covering the yard with bird netting. I will also add an additional 35 sq. feet to the run for a total run size of 85 sq. feet, which they will stay in on rainy days. I live in a warm region of California with average temperatures in the seventies during the summer, and in the fifties to sixties during the winter, so the girls never have to be locked in the coop to stay warm. Is my coop large enough for eight hens with constant access to the run and access to the yard during most days? Also, are two nesting boxes enough for eight hens?

Thank you!
Welcome to BYC.
Your coop is going to be too small for the number of birds you want, especially considering the Brahma and Orp you are bringing in.
You will also be pushing the limit on the run space. They really should have more space. You will have A LOT of difficulty integrating in a run that small. I think roost time during integration will be a bloody nightmare.
Can you post pictures of your setup?

The usual guidelines are that each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation.

So, for 8 chickens you need:

32 square feet in the coop,
80 square feet in the run,
8 linear feet of roost,
and 8 square feet of ventilation.

It is generally recommended to have extra space when integrating new chickens with an existing flock.

@aart has excellent information about integration: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/shalom-my-family.1444658/post-23998233

20210312_135849.jpg
My yard is 10x10 the coop on the right is 4x8 and there's the old duck box butted up in the back of the yard 4x4. I have a jersey giant rooster and hen 6 golden comets and 3 comet/coaching mix in there with plenty of room. I usually keep 6 birds but I'm building a larger pin at my farm so most of these will move there. But just for sizing I haven't had any stress issues or fighting so far in this set up. All birds are different but I think 8 would be fine in this.

Back
Top Bottom