Need advice on turkey breed please

missmisti

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
We currently have chickens that our two boys love to help with. We would like to get a few turkeys but need advice on which breed of turkey would be the friendliest and easiest for our boys to help tend to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I like my Midget Whites a whole lot. You didn't mention the age of your boys, but if they're small, maybe MWs won't be quite so scary to wrangle.

They're not TINY, they're just smaller than the big turkeys. With all of the great personality of the big birds.

We got about 18 in a variety from porters last year. The Bronze variety are the friendliest, but they ALL are friendly. Much more than the chickens or guineas. we haven't been through breeding season yet, so we will see. The girls love to be picked up and carried around. The tom's find it humiliating, but they come up to you and strut around anyway. They do pick at everything. Fingers, legs, buttons, snaps, polished toenails (we keep telling friends not to come to the farm wearing sandals). might not be great if you have freckles either LOL.

They ALL are friendly though

RobertH

ignore the arrows. those are ones that are going to new homes.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Bourbon Reds. :love Can you tell? :)

Last edited:
The friendlyist turkeys we have are broad breasted whites They end up being to big to ever run away or even fly. The only problem we ever had is the big guys will break a leg just under thier massive bodies. I never lust feed them in one spot now ant it seems to help them stay stronger. Our hen can still be picked up but our tom can not, he is over 45 lbs. They are not very smart but they don't fight with anything. We even have a chicken who cuddles with the tom at night.

Kountrygirl,  how sweet is it that they help you unload the food :love

or... are you too lazy to unload it and let them eat in  the car?:lau

LOVE THE PICTURES!

RobertH

Thanks.

I plead the 5th but you are right! :lau :lau :lau

I throw feed out at the back of the truck and they come running. :lau So, I'm half to blame as well for the truck incident. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom