Need fellow chicken-lovers in St. Louis (and MO in-general)...

SavingHens

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2017
St. Louis, Missouri
UPDATE: There will be NO PAYMENT WHATSOEVER necessary to adopt any hens.

Hi everyone!

I was recently interviewed about my story, and it aired on our local news. The video can be found here: http://fox2now.com/2017/04/14/chicken-crusade-st-louis-woman-wants-to-save-farm-fowl/

"Saving the chickens" has always been a goal that is near-and-dear to my heart. So I started doing research to find a group in my area (St. Louis, Missouri) that works with factory egg farms to save battery hens as they're about to be "retired" (aka: killed). Approximately 300 MILLION hens are killed each year as a result of this practice. Such a waste...

Unfortunately, my search revealed there are no such groups anywhere nearby. There are some smaller groups on the coasts and up north. The biggest players in this game seem to be in the UK and Australia, where adopting battery-hens is a common practice. Farmers actually reach out to hen-saving groups about taking their retirees. Amazingly, there are waiting-lists and loving homes ready with open arms!

After finding out there were no groups nearby, my heart dropped. But instead of giving up, I decided to look for farms in the state and call around until I found one that would work with me. It was tough, but I finally found a place willing to allow adoption of their soon-to-be retired hens. So now my goal is to spread the word as far and wide as I can in an effort to find people who want to adopt them. I'm truly hoping for a good deal of interest so a large number will be saved. After living crammed in a small cage their entire lives, it would be the first time they ever saw sunlight, stretched their wings, felt the earth beneath their feet, and could move around freely. Just think how great it would be to get something started here in the Midwest...

About the hens I'm trying to rescue:

There are both brown and white hens (meaning brown and white egg-layers). They'll be approximately a year-and-a-half to two-years-old when retired -- sometimes younger. They will still be able to lay eggs, as hens can lay for up to 5 - 7 years of age -- it just won't be the frequency it would be in the factory. The conditions there are manipulated in a way that causes them to lay more often than normal. Some of them won't be the prettiest birds at first and will look a bit rough due to where they've been. But over time their feathers (and possibly beaks) grow back, their color returns, and their beauty will shine! They also tend to have very sweet and loving personalities...almost as if they're showing you they understand what you've done for them. When properly cared for, chickens can live up to 10 years, in some cases longer.

So, if I can, I'd like to encourage my fellow chicken enthusiasts to reach out and share this information with anyone you know who might be interested. If you yourself are interested, or would like to talk to me about this in more detail, feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected].

Thanks to all in advance for your time and compassion!

Last edited:
I'm originally from STL but now reside in SEMO. We live by the Tyson plant down here and seeing all those chickens is so sad.

Last edited:
Parker1316, I know. It's such a sad thing. I don't think I could handle living near any sort of factory farm...seeing all the animals constantly going in & out would break my heart. I already tear up & get really upset anytime I pass a truck with live animals crammed in the back. I know where they're going & how it will happen -- not to mention the fear you can see in their faces.
1f61e.png

ChickenCanoe, I did NOT know about this group! I live right next to Tower Grove park too, so I could totally make time to drop by!!! Do I have to become a member through Meet-up, or can I just join by contacting the right peson? Your post really got me excited! If I were to make it on Saturday, could I bring my kids?

You can bring your kids. We share personal information like phone numbers and addresses so that's why we require registration but there is no further obligation.

Latest updates below...

When will I be getting the hens? At this time I have no set-date. I should know more after Thursday of next week. The "higher-ups" will be meeting to hash out the details surrounding dates for the next cycle retirements and bringing in new flocks. Just to put it out there now, my plan is to bring the hens back to someplace like Tower Grove Park. It's a big enough common-area where you can come easily pick-up your hens. I'll need everyone to bring their own carriers or boxes to transport them home. Once a firm date is settled, I'll send out time options to get feedback on what works best.

Are the chickens vaccinated? Yes and no. A system is in-place to easily distinguish which birds are vaccinated, and which ones aren't. The vaccines cover Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Newcastle Disease, and Marek's (MD). They also never use live-vaccines. If you have a preference for NON-vaccinated birds -- let me know ASAP. Otherwise, I'll be asking for all vaccinated birds. For those who already have chickens, this will help to ensure their health isn't compromised. For those starting out, this will put you in a better position to prevent nasty health-issues in the future.

Are the beaks clipped? Yes. They do it with a laser when they're day-old chicks. It's only done once, and they still grow since there was no cauterization.

FOLKS IN MISSOURI: If you happen to live somewhat close to Columbia, MO (or know someone who does) and have or know of a place that could hold 2,000+ hens for a short time (2-4 days) to do quarantine/testing, PLEASE contact me! This is one of the final hurdles I need to get over so I can get these hens and place them in homes. If you're considering it and would like more details, please contact me at [email protected]. There are too many details to get into here, but this is MUCH NEEDED for me to succeed in this endeavor. Thank you, and please share!

Back
Top Bottom