NEED HELP: Balding Hen

SarahDucharme

Hatching
Jan 16, 2024
B14563D7-1204-4192-A231-38529235E480.jpeg

My hen big momma is a cochin, but lately she’s been having a hard time. She has been losing feathers and seems to have a hard time growing them back over the past several months. The feathers that have grown back are still pin feathers and aren’t becoming undone. She is bald in some spots and has irritated skin. Otherwise, she seems fine. Still eating and drinking, though she does shake a bit probably because she’s cold due to her lack of feathers. I suspected she had ringworm, so I’ve been treating her for that with ringworm cream on her comb, coconut oil around her eyes and mouth, and an anti fungal spray on her skin. I also treated her irritated bald patches with a and d. Her feet have also been very dry, to the point of cracking though I think that may be due to the weather and that over the summer so treated her for scaly leg mites. I put hen healer on her feet (hence her blueish green feet). I don’t want to keep treating her for ringworm if that’s not what it is, so anyone have some ideas? She seems relatively the same but her feathers are in less of a disarray. Maybe just a hard molt, but would that last a few months?

She gets later pellets, layer crumble, and then treats. I’ve been giving her an egg often to help her grow back her feathers. Yes no mites visible, plus two other birds in the run have no issues. I thought maybe it was ringworm because she had a small amount of white on her comb, but it may have just been dry skin as it is winter.

I’d suggest just giving her extra protein and vitamin supplements like vitamin B and E as well as providing you flock with extra grit. She could just be stressed. Is there perhaps a bullying problem? I think you can get anti pecking spray but I’m not sure it works. I wouldn’t continue with the worm treatment unless it’s obvious with behaviour and in their poops. try adding eggs and worms for proteins for a few weeks and see how she gets on. Make sure the coops are clean and there’s plenty of food and water!

Back
Top Bottom