need help designing gate to keep chickens out but let dog pass

gorhamg

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
I have a 80'x60' fenced run area the dogs share with the chickens.

The dogs get to the run via a dog door on the second floor deck. There is a stairway from the ground to the second floor deck the dogs use to get out to the run area.

I need help designing a gate to keep the chickens off the stairs to the second floor deck. The gate has to allow the dogs to pass.

I have an idea, a light weight gate with a dog door that the dogs can figure out how to use (as they have done with the dog door to the deck from inside the house) -- but the chickens will not use.

Any better ideas?

Keeping the poop off the deck before it gets cold and I cannot hose the deck due to cold temps - just want the poop off the deck for sanitary reasons too.

Thank you

I agree with the gate with the dog door, I would just caution you to use one that is heavy enough to not allow the chickens to open it. I had a dog door that was more like a very heavy plastic curtain like what they use on a loading dock. The hens figured out how to get in after some time.

Had a friend who incorporated a swinging, wood door at the bottom of his gate to give the dog quick access to his chicken yard. Chickens never went through it. Easy for the dog.

Back
Top Bottom