Need help identifying this rooster

jessim

Chirping
Apr 30, 2021
This is my baby Jude. I hatched him myself about two years ago. I purchased the eggs online from a Silkie farm. He had a sister who looked like a straight silkie. But Jude…well he’s unique. He has the whole five toe thing but to me, he looks nothing like a Silkie. From his coloring to his awesome hair do…Can anyone tell me what he may be mixed with? He is making lots of babies and when I find the chicks new homes I’d like to be able to tell people what they are getting. All of his babies look like Silkies and that’s it. My hens are all pure Silkies as well.

Attachments

• 56EAA02D-BE7C-4A26-B55C-F0B53402141C.jpeg
    56EAA02D-BE7C-4A26-B55C-F0B53402141C.jpeg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3FAEDDA8-934F-4EAD-8DFD-34E318B252D6.jpeg
    3FAEDDA8-934F-4EAD-8DFD-34E318B252D6.jpeg
    905.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 08A00091-21A9-4B6C-AF29-E1510B42F2BF.jpeg
    08A00091-21A9-4B6C-AF29-E1510B42F2BF.jpeg
    833.5 KB · Views: 6
This is my baby Jude. I hatched him myself about two years ago. I purchased the eggs online from a Silkie farm. He had a sister who looked like a straight silkie. But Jude…well he’s unique. He has the whole five toe thing but to me, he looks nothing like a Silkie. From his coloring to his awesome hair do…Can anyone tell me what he may be mixed with? He is making lots of babies and when I find the chicks new homes I’d like to be able to tell people what they are getting. All of his babies look like Silkies and that’s it. My hens are all pure Silkies as well.
He is a Silkie cross.
If you bought him from a breeder and they were selling silkies mixes in could be impossible to know what he mixed with. I’d tell the people (what I do) that the chicks are a Silkie mix.

He's definitely a silkie mix, what the other parent could be, well, hard to say. Do you happen to know what other breeds they had?
They said they just had silkies. I am just going to sell the chicks as silkie mixes I think. He is clearly not just silkie. Still an amazing roo. He is a very sweet boy.

Good luck! If you breed him to silkies ~50% will have silkied feathers.
He has fathered 23 chicks so far and all have been silkies. One was a naked neck. One was a frizzle. I contacted the breeder and she said he’s a satin silkie. I have no clue what that means but I’m about to google lol. I just have regular silkies. Aside from his naked neck chick I kept

He's definitely a silkie mix, what the other parent could be, well, hard to say. Do you happen to know what other breeds they had?
The original seller contacted me back and said he’s a satin. She was doing “projects” at the time for colorations. So he is not a finished satin.

Back
Top Bottom