Need help! Possibly egg-bound hen

deir

Hatching
Nov 9, 2023
I'm worried about our hen Mrs. D, who seems to be egg-bound. She's a rhode island red, about a year old. On the small side but not very small.

She went through some stressful things recently where her daytime pen blew over from a very strong rogue wind. We normally have these 2 groups of hens in 2 different pens during the day - the GGs & the Chickitas. Mrs. Ds group is the Chickitas which is just her & her sister Patience. After the wind event we had to put the Chickitas in with the GGs, These 2 groups sleep in the same coop and mix together when they freerange everyday so we thought it would be fine, but after a few days it looked like Mrs D was being bullied by the GGs - like being pecked away from food and generally intimidated. I noticed how timid she was, not "fighting back.

So we took her and her sister and put them in a different pen, Then I noticed she wasn't as interested in eating as she normally was, and she'd stand a lot... just stand... not moving around like she normally would, she just wanted to stand somewhere as out of the way as she could find. It didn't look like she was trying to lay an egg - she was just standing in a neutral positiion, not hunched, not with her butt toward the ground, in fact these past 5 days her butt has been more in an UP position than down.

I wasn't sure what was going on so I took her into the house, gave her an epsom salt bath, felt her abdomen and afterwards put her in a warm dark bin & kept checking on her. She wanted to drink the epsom water and I read that can help with egg binding so I gave her more in her little hospital room.

Despite five days of care in the house, including isolation from the flock, rest, warmth, privacy, darkness, and five epsom salt baths in 4 days, there's no egg. After her epsom salt baths while she's relaxed I've tried massaging her abdomen and lubricating her vent with coconut oil, but its hard just inside the vent (egg I think) and I don't want to hurt her or break the egg. I did manage to push some coconut oil as lubricant in with a little syringe plunger.

She’s trying so hard. I see her standing and tensing, seems to be trying to push the egg out with her tail up. It’s different from the typical position of an egg bound hen, where the hen is more in a vertical squat I believe...?

Her condition seems stable, but with constipation. The first few days she had diarreah that smelled "eggy", then it became just watery with no smell for a day or so, and then yesterday I found small amounts of pasty poop. and today some "eggy" smells again but only found wet spots in her wood shavings.

Her diet is excellent I believe, organic layer feed, crushed oyster shells at her disposal for calcium, black fly larvae and various organic vegs/fruits for treats, a little scratch mix, fresh water.

None of our other hens have had this problem or any other health problem, although we did have one recently who passed away possibly could have been egg bound... we couldn't figure out what happened. We have 13 hens at the moment.

Her comb's color has improved since this ordeal began (5 days ago) and she's eating and drinking pretty well.

We have been praying for her to pass this egg for 5 days now. I don't know what else we can do for her. I have read to remove the egg innards with a syringe and then collapse the eggshell and take it out but i'm not at that advanced level and wouldn't feel confident to not hurt her. We can't afford a vet atm unfortunately.

The pics are of her today. She spends most of her time standling like this but she also lays down sometimes.

ANy suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4147.JPG
    IMG_4147.JPG
    512.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4149.JPG
    IMG_4149.JPG
    514 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4152.JPG
    IMG_4152.JPG
    527.3 KB · Views: 11
Can you give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d today and again tomorrow if she doesn’t lay? Is she getting out to walk around some, or is that too difficult for her? Encourage her to drink fluids. Hopefully, she can pass the egg or whatever it is. Lash eggs can get big and may cause egg binding as well. If a vet is possible, an xray could confirm the egg. They have ways of removing the stuck egg and contents.

Can you give her a human calcium citrate tablet with vitamin d today and again tomorrow if she doesn’t lay? Is she getting out to walk around some, or is that too difficult for her? Encourage her to drink fluids. Hopefully, she can pass the egg or whatever it is. Lash eggs can get big and may cause egg binding as well. If a vet is possible, an xray could confirm the egg. They have ways of removing the stuck egg and contents.
I took her outside yesterday and she was fine walking, ran a little too, took a long dirt bath & grazed as if everything was hunky dory.

We do give her crushed oyster shells for vitamin D. Would you recommend calcium citrate on top of that? If so I'll get some tomorrow. I have vitamin D with K2 is that ok to give her?

Calcium citrate with D 2 is usually a good thing to have around, and to give a hen who is possibly egg bound or having problems with soft or shell-less eggs. I don’t know what d3 with k2 is.

K2 is a vitamin that helps other vitamins get to the right place in the body, it's often paired with D3. When I wrote my post above I didn't know calcium supps are combined with D3 for better absorption, I thought you were saying 2 separate supps, so I was just thinking to use the D3 that I have on hand which has K2 in it.

Anyway I did't want to overdo the calcium since that can cause other problems but I did confirm that even if your hens get oyster shells for calcium, the calcium citrate with D3 is a necessary emergency measure for egg bound.

I took her outside again yesterday and let her free range (away from the flock). She ran a little, flapped her wings & did a chicken fly. She has always had a somewhat awkward walk and run where she tilts side to side a little more than the others, as if her screws weren’t screwed all the way in when she was put together. She bounces more than the others and looks a bit discombobulated.

She’s so sweet & adorable. She took a long dirt bath just pecking scratching flapping & enjoying being a chicken :) It turned into quite a long bath, about an hour and then it was time for me to go back in the house, but she wanted to say outside and she made me chase her when I tried to pick her up, which I thought was a good sign, so I put her in a small run for the rest of the afternoon where I could see her from my window. She looked happy and lively, just pecking and foraging. Seeing her outside doing chicken things she just looks like her healthy self, and if not for the constipation I wouldn’t know there's anything wrong.

So now Im thinking she’s not egg bound…because today is day 8 of this 'possibly egg bound' situation, but from what I've read an egg bound situation only lasts 2-3 days before either the egg comes out or the hen passes away. I looked up how to tell if she's egg bound or constipated, and found a post here that said if she's wandering around & foraging then she's not egg bound.

My fiance suggested molting as the culprit, which is happening right now in our flock. I didn't find anything specifically about constipation being a symptom of molting but it's generally a stressful time for them so could be contributing to her constipation…?

Her comb looks a paler again today than yesterday. It had been a nice red for the last 4-5 days but maybe not as red as usual. I read that could be a symptom of molting.

So I guess she’s not egg bound… and yet there is a hard rounded "something' in her underbelly, sort of close to her vent. Or was as of yesterday, I haven't checked her out yet today. Just wanted her to enjoy her breakfast. I gave her oxytocin-rich apple, egg yolk, and some castor oil and black soldier fly. I read the oxytocin foods can help with contractions and any activity that she enjoys can also release ocytocin. I might have some details wrong, I've been reading loads & my brain is a bit oversaturated with chicken things at the moment, but I think it was contractions that those foods help with. But now I guess she doesn't need help with contractions since I doubt she’s egg bound.
I was planning on giving her the calcium citrate today too, not sure I should now…?

I’m not sure what to do next, another epsom bath and try to examine her again afterwards…?
I’m trying to figure out what I’m feeling when examine her underside. Being new to chickens I don’t know what’s normal and what’s a sign of… something. I read this in Chicken Health for Dummies: “A hen who is laying eggs has a wide, moist vent and a soft, doughy enlarged abdomen. A firm abdomen and a small puckered dry vent are signs of a hen that currently isn’t laying eggs.” If this description is right, she's definitely in the non-laying camp - she has a firm abdomen and a small puckered dry vent. Her vent was tight around my finger when I tried to feel inside, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of pushing it in, and the thought of trying to put two fingers to try and pull an egg out just seems like a really bad idea.

Could be she's laying eggs inside which is worse than egg bound, I read. Not sure how to proceed, and I'm feeling a bit exhausted and discouraged now...

Has she passed some droppings the last 2 days? You had described diarrhea earlier. If a hen is constipated, usually a little cold coconut oil can be cut into small peckable pieces, and fed 1 or 2 tsp per day if they are eating. She may well be molting and has stopped laying which might last until after the start of the new year. It can be common for some hens to lay internally. Inside the abdomen there can be lash material or solid masses of egg from infection. I would probably give the calcium with d for about 3 days total, and if she doesn’t lay, then stop. Most times we don’t know exactly what is happening. When I lose a hen, I usually do a home necropsy to look for lash eggs, yellow ascites fluid, cancer, and to examine the color of the organs.

She seems to be doing ok, she started pooping more and eating more. I think she was just constipated...? from the molting, stress & bullying...?

I put her back outside 2 days ago and she's doing great. She's separated from the other hens except for her sister. They're good together and even help groom each other with the molting.

I did get one egg from their run yesterday, but since she's with her sister I'm not sure which one laid it. I managed to get one calcium capsule into her but I couldn't get an more even with help, she just wouldn't cooperate.

I think the coconut oil helped her start to poop again, so I'm continuing with that. Also egg yolks and apples with her regular feed, and some sardines for a treat because I read that helps them grow the new feathers.

Thanks for all your help and God bless you :)

Back
Top Bottom