Need help with duck hatching!

emz22

Hatching
Jun 24, 2020
Hello, so long story short my dog attacked a duck on June 2nd. It took off and I'm pretty sure was injured, I realized it was sitting on a nest of eggs. After watching for several hours she never returned and as it was getting very cold I decided to take the eggs inside. I had no idea what I was doing and watched a youtube video that showed someone making an incubator with a plastic tub, a heating pad, a sheet, a bowl of water and a thermometer. I have been turning them 3 times a day. I did not think they had a chance of surviving or developing but after some time 3 out of the 7 started showing veins and developing. Now I'm thinking they are on day 23 so should be hatching soon but don't know what I'm doing. The tub they are in is solid with a lid, should I make some holes for ventilation if they hatch or will that compromise the humidity? I work at a horse farm where I can keep them at the stables and have gotten a heat lamp and everything for a brooder box but should I keep them at the house for a while first (the air-conditioning is on) or is it ok for the brooder box to be in the stables (the temperature here right now is 80's during the day and 60's at night) any advice would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
The eggs should be at a constant temp of 98-99.5, but slight temperature changes won't hurt them, especially since they will be hatching soon. And the humidity should be at about 80% on day 24. When they are about to hatch, you should add more ventilation holes and up the humidity,(80% will be fine) so that it'll be easier to hatch.
Here's a website for more info on hatching:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/IncubatingAndHatching.cfm

I fully get it, and I think you are a good human for taking this on.

Be aware, however, that you may be committing a federal crime. You may want to reach out to an accredited wildlife rescue agency for help. I certainly would not post publicly about it on social media or in forums.

FYI: Mallards are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. It is illegal for any person to take, possess, transport, sell, or purchase them or their parts, such as feathers, nests, or eggs, without a permit. Active nests with eggs or chicks may not be purposely touched or destroyed without a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Inactive (empty) nests do not require a permit to destroy, provided no possession occurs during or after the destruction.

Last edited:
Wow I had no idea I will definitely look for some wildlife rescues that can hopefully help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom