Need help with gender, 8 weeks

So.... if there is NO red in the parentage, then neither pullets nor cockerels will have those red splotches?
Right, but the red could be in there however many generations back.

Basic example being if you are trying to breed australorps, which are black birds with a beetle green sheen, but you hatch a male with red leakage in the feathers, then you know somewhere along the line, it's not pure.

Also, "red" does not strictly speaking have to be obvious, like a RIR. Welsummers / partridge color patterns are red, buff birds are red etc.

Right, but the red could be in there however many generations back.

Basic example being if you are trying to breed australorps, which are black birds with a beetle green sheen, but you hatch a male with red leakage in the feathers, then you know somewhere along the line, it's not pure.

Also, "red" does not strictly speaking have to be obvious, like a RIR. Welsummers / partridge color patterns are red, buff birds are red etc.
Thank you so much! It makes sense.
I've moved A, B, and C back into Camp Cockerel with D and their other brothers. Looked everyone over, and saw only pullets left in the girls' area, and only boys in the boys' area. I noticed several other boys with splotches on their shoulders, varying colors of brownish-red to gold/copper. Aha! Thank you so much, I now have another tool for identifying the cockerels earlier than before.

Back
Top Bottom