Need help with integration

Matildas Mum

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2024
Hi there,

I have been lurking in this forum for a couple of years and have found so much helpful information, but have not been able to find an answer to our current dilemma so I finally joined as I really need advice.

We have two brown shavers, Matilda and Henny Penny that have been together for nearly two years. They have a coop with a large run that I keep them in until around noon and then let them out to free range. We were given two more hens a couple of months ago because a friend had bought them but was unsuccessful integrating them as her hens were bullying them. I was told that they are leghorn/hyline crosses. We set up a second coop and run right next to our other one. The two new hens were very bonded and got along really well. Sadly, one of the new hens (Honey) became very sick and the other hen (Snowy) began bullying her so I brought Honey up to the house and kept her in a crate. After she recovered I set up an area between both runs so she could see all the hens but not have contact. At night I brought her up to the house to roost in the crate.

After about a week I tried to reintroduce her to her Snowy. They had been spending a lot of time together through the fence so I thought they were ready. Snowy began to jump on her back and peck at her head. Everytime Honey tried to escape Snowy would chase her and attack her again. Snowy is about twice the size of Honey so I was worried she would hurt her and removed her. I decided it would be better to integrate her with the shavers as they are smaller and not at all agressive. The first time I let them free range together Honey began to jump on their backs and peck at their heads like Snowy had done to her. I separated them and tried again a couple days later. She was again agressive with them. Everytime I put them together she tries to attack them and they are terrified of her. I tried putting her in the coop late one night and she began to attack them and they ran out of the coop and wouldn't go back in until I removed Honey. I have separated her from them for another week during the day and put her in a crate in the coop at night. At first the shavers didn't want to go in the coop when she was in the crate but have since learned that she can't get them when she is in there. She is still trying to peck at them through the fence and the crate. Also, she escaped from her area today and began to attack the shavers.

I really need advice on how to integrate Honey with the shavers, and once they are integrated, how to integrate Snowy. She is twice the size of the other 3 so I am a bit nervous about introducing her to them.

Welcome to BYC.

Can you please post pictures of your entire setup?
For this type of integration, you really need a very large coop and very large run with lots of things in the run to perch on, hide behind and provide enrichment/distraction from so that everyone has a place to get away from the others until things settle down.

Welcome to BYC.

Can you please post pictures of your entire setup?
For this type of integration, you really need a very large coop and very large run with lots of things in the run to perch on, hide behind and provide enrichment/distraction from so that everyone has a place to get away from the others until things settle down.
I will try to get pictures to post later today. Both coops are quite small and the runs are large for the amount of hens, but there is not areas to run and hide. This is why I decided it would be best to inegrate Honey with the shavers because the free ranging area is large with lots of places to hide and a lot of distractions. Everytime I have put her with them (other than the time I tried to put her in the coop at night) it has been in the free ranging area. She will bully them and then leave them alone for a while, but then go after them and start pecking at them again. I thought things would settle down once the pecking order was established, but the shavers did not try at all to challenge her and are very afraid of her, but she keeps attacking them.

Back
Top Bottom