Need help with our Nesting boxes

Yep, they kicked the straw out as well! I think I will just keep putting it back in until they figure it out. Maybe it’s because they are new at this egg laying business

If they are still kicking the straw out, it's because the lip is not high enough. Sorry, but I don't know how to say it any clearer.

Most chickens like to sleep as high as they can. If the highest spot is your nests they are very likely to want to sleep in them. Usually if your roosts are noticeably higher than your nests they want to sleep on the roosts not in the nests. What is noticeably higher? If the roosts are right at the nests 6" is probably enough. More also works. If the roosts are further away, 12" generally works unless you have a huge coop.
We put up a lip in front of the boxes and the eggs are staying in! They aren’t sleeping in the boxes as we have checked on them several times so that isn’t an issue, thank goodness!

Our chickens are just starting to lay eggs for us. Our problem is, they are kicking the bedding out of the box and then laying the egg. Today one of the eggs were broken and we think its because it drops onto the bare wood. What does everyone use in their boxes that the chickens like? Thank you in advance, New chicken family❤
I use pine shavings. Enough in the box where they can make an indentation to lay the eggs. I have 13 hens and 7-8 use the same nest.

That's pretty normal. I have four nests and most of the eggs are in two of those. Sometimes it is a different two which is even weirder. For a while the two on the left may be the ones used, then for a while it may be the top left and bottom right. Then a month or so later it changes again. I'm sure they have a perfectly logical reason for that, but it is not obvious to me.

That's pretty normal. I have four nests and most of the eggs are in two of those. Sometimes it is a different two which is even weirder. For a while the two on the left may be the ones used, then for a while it may be the top left and bottom right. Then a month or so later it changes again. I'm sure they have a perfectly logical reason for that, but it is not obvious to me.
They do some odd things but we sure do love them. Each and every one of them have a different characteristic! They fight over who is going to be held❤️ Thank you for your help.

mine switch boxes sometimes also.

Back
Top Bottom