Need Help with Pen/Run Design

For Livestock Guardian dogs, check into Spanish Mastiffs. Their hair isn't as long and doesn't get as matted. They would be a better choice in Texas, and would keep humans away too. They are huge, and might look slow and laid back, but they are deadly to any predator. If you don't want the dog later, the breed club has a nice rescue to take it (or contact me! LOL)

There are modifications to the Wood's Open Air Coops for Southern locations. I'm in Missouri and may make some for Summer use because we get really bad here. They have much more wire netting, so the birds don't cook.

I had an American Mastiff... short hair. Really good with the livestock and the kids.

When we were still in Texas we had a great Pyrenees and he did fine in the heat.... didn't have livestock...but he was good with kittens and our human baby

@cmom, I love your coops, the runs also look great! What do you use for your runs? Wire mesh or deer fencing?
I have both chicken wire and welded wire with electric wires around my coops and pens, heavy duty netting covering the pens and concrete under the gates, all due to losses from predators in the past. Nothing has gotten past the hot wires. I believe the adult predators teach their young that a bird isn't worth getting zapped for. My wires are hot and will hurt when touched, but that's the idea, I want them to hurt so they will stay away and associate the shock with this is not a good place. I have had the hot wires up for many years. Again, good luck...
IMG_20200428_102816.jpg

It may not be pretty but it works.
20210115_095548.jpg

The larger coops are actually duplex coops. At one time they were just bigger coops but eventually modified and made into duplex coops. When the trees I planted in the pens were small. I put some good heavy duty netting up covering the pens as I had issues with aerial predators. As the trees grew, I worked them through the netting. The birds love the shade. My land is mostly open pasture and I no longer free range due to losses in the past. It seems like the favorite birds are the ones that get picked off first. When I stopped free ranging, I extended all of the pens out, around an additional 10'feet. All of the pens are 60 feet deep x around 20+/- feet wide. Like many people I started out with one coop but over the years added more birds and coops. Good luck and have fun...View attachment 2788099View attachment 2788101View attachment 2788102View attachment 2788103View attachment 2788104
Did you design your coops? How big is one? We have been discussing a hatchery if DH & I are asked to take over the family farm in the next few years. I LOVE your setup! (Feel free time message me if you think we will clog up the thread)!

So where does one get Spanish Mastiffs. I guess you may have some?
No, I don't have any, yet LOL I have had a Pyrenean Mastiff that was a rescue I fostered and kept. We didn't have him to guard livestock, but I'm waiting for one from a breeder in Spain. In fact, Our Pyrenean Mastiff, "Rutger" is pictured on the far right of my avatar LOL

There's a breeder that I haven't used but I believe is well respected, De La Tierra Alta Kennel Mastin Espanol ( https://www.facebook.com/SpanishMastiffUSAClub/ ) There's another breeder I've been watching called Hoof and Fang Spanish Mastiffs. I do not know their cost, but I'm sure it's high. It may be cheaper to actually import one from Spain. Whatever you do, do NOT neuter till at least 3 years old, because in giant breed dogs, it causes them to die much earlier. And with all giant breeds, make sure to take them to several training classes for obedience. It helps you develop a good working relationship and socializes them. They'll still protect you and livestock, trust me LOL Two is always better than one.

Back
Top Bottom