Need help with poop catching apparatus?

That should be fine...if coop is a walk-in.
Where's the people door?
IIRC, you are still juggling numerous coop plans.

:gig :gig :gig
I call it the 'thickening'!
That along with the shot knees keeps me standing as much as possible.
I am juggling numerous coop plans....I keep getting ahead of myself don't I.

This what I have in an 8x8 coop. I got the idea from Pete's 6x6 coop on Youtube. Works very well and takes no time to clean with a kitty litter scoop.

Attachments

• Coop & Run 006.jpg
    Coop & Run 006.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Coop & Run 010.jpg
    Coop & Run 010.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 11
@aart

My concern is getting in and out of that 24 inch doorway to get inside. If you're young and skinny you're good, but if your old and have a mid-life middle :cool: like me, turning sideways isn't always fun.

You've never said how many chickens? I'm guessing 8 chicks (8 x 4 sq ft = 32), which leads to needing 8 feet of roosting space; 4 extra feet.
Whoops, I thought that I had made it 36''! According to me, 9 chickens (7 standards and 2 bantams. According to parents, 4. Probably outcome: 7 standards

Hey, I've got a 20 inch doorway, so that's how I know. :)

With the bantams it should work out according to 2 sq ft per Bantam math.
We're *sadly* probably going to end up with 7 standards. Parents aren't as into chickens as me that may be a bit of an understatement they're actually worried about having too many eggs, believe it or not. Works out well because several of the breeds I want aren't high production (cochins, marans, etc)

I scoop a 4x4 daily, and it takes less than 10 mins. It’ll take a lot less longer if i weren’t so ocd about getting every last little bit of chicken dookie 😂

I’m using expanded pine pellet bedding, it’s pretty easy to sift with a kitty litter scoop. I’ve also starting mixing in my coffee grinds, my coop smells amazing! lol.

We're *sadly* probably going to end up with 7 standards. Parents aren't as into chickens as me that may be a bit of an understatement they're actually worried about having too many eggs, believe it or not. Works out well because several of the breeds I want aren't high production (cochins, marans, etc)
From what I'm told, your parents aren't wrong about later on having too many eggs, but all you have to do is cook them up and feed them back to the chickens; free food.

I'd like to use a poop catcher because I think that with school every day it'll be easier to scrape poop every two days than change bedding every two days.

You could just add more bedding on top every few days, and clean it out less often.

If you do that, plan to attach a board across the bottom of the door opening, to keep the bedding from falling out when you open the door. But make that board removable, for when you do clean the coop. (One screw at each end of the board works well.)

Back
Top Bottom