Need help with worms, type I have and medication I should use to eradicate it. Warning : gross picture

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
When I joined this group I ended up finding out a lot about chicken worms, now I am a lot more vigilant when it comes to their waste, recently o have discovered that one or more of my chickens have worms, I don’t know who has it but I see worms in their poop, only discovered 2 poops that have worms in them so I doesnt seem to be a big problem at the moment, I have never wormed my chickens before because it has never been a problem until now, I’ve own my chickens for 3 years but I will start working them now, now I just need to know what type of worms I have (I’m guessing round worms) and what medication I should use to get rid of them, I believe I heard fenbenazole works but I am looking for clarification or if any other / better medicine works

Attachments

• 63B953E4-8A31-4EBB-9B45-5ED8EF4EB21E.jpeg
    63B953E4-8A31-4EBB-9B45-5ED8EF4EB21E.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 09F05C11-E52A-4391-9574-E881951A81C1.jpeg
    09F05C11-E52A-4391-9574-E881951A81C1.jpeg
    669.2 KB · Views: 43
Yes, those are large roundworms. They are best treated with Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally and repeated in 10 days. That will treat a 4-6 pound chicken for most worms that affect chickens, except tapeworms. Another medicine is Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally and again in 10 days. If you give it for 5 days in a row, it gets most other worms, except for the more rare tapeworms.

Yes, those are large roundworms. They are best treated with Valbazen 1/2 ml given orally and repeated in 10 days. That will treat a 4-6 pound chicken for most worms that affect chickens, except tapeworms. Another medicine is Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml per pound given orally and again in 10 days. If you give it for 5 days in a row, it gets most other worms, except for the more rare tapeworms.
Since I don’t know what chicken has worms I was wondering if I could just put it in their water if I do find that stuff near me, or if not, is their a certain medication that would work well in their watering dish because I kinda want to deworm my whole flock so no one gets it, I don’t have much places near me with chicken medications so the only thing I’ve been able to find is a medicine called WRM CLEAR, I could always get some stuff online though

Wormclear is for dogs and cats. Most wormers for chickens settle out in or are insoluble in water. Valbazen and SafeGuard are given orally at a specific dosage, not in the water. For a water soluble wormer you could try Wormout solution—levamisole. Here is where to buy it:
https://jedds.com/products/laying-hen-wormout-solution-no-withholding-period-on-eggs-vetafarm
WRM clear is typically for cats and dogs but I actually found a medication for aviary, it was the only medication they had so I got it although I don’t know of anyone that uses it so I'm unclear of it’s effectiveness.

Attachments

• B2771F8C-A2E1-4B63-B229-F546CCAF261E.jpeg
    B2771F8C-A2E1-4B63-B229-F546CCAF261E.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 39
WRM clear is typically for cats and dogs but I actually found a medication for aviary, it was the only medication they had so I got it although I don’t know of anyone that uses it so I'm unclear of it’s effectiveness.
Avian WRM CLEAR is NOT effective in eliminating worms. Use what Eggcessive recommended in her post.

just wormed my chickens / ducks yesterday orally, we finally found a medicine that would get rid of their worms so we worked them, just thought I would give an update to this post so there was a conclusion, in 2-3 weeks we can put the other chickens and turkeys in with them finally, not looking forward to working them again in six months because dang it was hard to get them to take their medicine 😅

just wormed my chickens / ducks yesterday orally, we finally found a medicine that would get rid of their worms so we worked them, just thought I would give an update to this post so there was a conclusion, in 2-3 weeks we can put the other chickens and turkeys in with them finally, not looking forward to working them again in six months because dang it was hard to get them to take their medicine 😅
what did you end up using?

Back
Top Bottom