Need incubating advice.....

E Buschjost

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2021
Near Jefferson City Missouri
On day 12 of incubation - have weighed each egg @ 6 days and now today. Individual weights decreasing on average by about 5.5% instead of the recommended 12%. Humidity is fairly stable (I have experimented with surface area etc trying to get it perfect šŸ˜ž)
Do you think they are ok or did I kill them? šŸ˜¢
I candle them and they look good and seem to be progressing - but Iā€™m worried about their development
what should I do to help if anything.

Iā€™ve incubated eggs many many times over a 30 year span but didnā€™t stress over such details. I put them in, filled channels with water, filled them when they looked dry, stopped turning at about a week-ish prior to hatching and Voila! Chicks.
now Iā€™m doing it ā€œby the booksā€ with my grandsons and Lordy I can hardly stop checking things - and am stressing so much about this and that. I think I need to put away my charts and graphs and logbook and go back to my old way lol. Iā€™m a retired principal so tend to be very ā€œperfectionistā€ - and if you give me a guide I will follow it to the letter! Ugh.
so worried now Iā€™ve messed them up.

Iā€™ve incubated eggs many many times over a 30 year span but didnā€™t stress over such details. I put them in, filled channels with water, filled them when they looked dry, stopped turning at about a week-ish prior to hatching and Voila! Chicks.
now Iā€™m doing it ā€œby the booksā€ with my grandsons and Lordy I can hardly stop checking things - and am stressing so much about this and that. I think I need to put away my charts and graphs and logbook and go back to my old way lol. Iā€™m a retired principal so tend to be very ā€œperfectionistā€ - and if you give me a guide I will follow it to the letter! Ugh.
so worried now Iā€™ve messed them up.
Iā€™ve also never gone by the weights. Just marking the air cells. Let me see if I can find an air cell candling chart somewhere. Donā€™t worry about it.

Iā€™ve also never gone by the weights. Just marking the air cells. Let me see if I can find an air cell candling chart somewhere. Donā€™t worry about it.
Hereā€™s the candling chart:
1617546787692.gif

I don't check the eggs anymore. I put the eggs in the incubator and set the temperature and humidity which I do check daily but candle a few eggs around day 14+/- and look for development. I candle all of the eggs on day 18/19 when I put the eggs in the hatcher and take out the obvious blanks. I mark any I think might be quitters and put them in the hatcher. A few times to my surprise I have had some of the ones I thought were quitters hatch but some don't. I have some due to hatch that are in the hatcher now. Good luck...

Do you have a hygrometer to measure the humidity? You could run the humidity lower for the remainder of incubation and wait to increase the humidity until the eggs have pipped internally. I do not use the water channels in my incubator until lockdown because they are too large. If the humidity is below 25% I add a shot glass of water to the incubator which raises it just enough.

Humidity is a very individual thing and you have to work out what works for your incubator in your climate.

Back
Top Bottom