Need recommendations for standalone watering containers that don't leak like a sieve!

Bertie-Merle

Songster
Dec 21, 2022
Southeast Texas
Hi. I know y'all know it's hot ... and I'm checking my auto-watering system in my main coop every morning and trying to put fresh cool water in containers everywhere around the yard where my eight chickens go for shade, but that means using stainless dog bowls and those cheap "newbie" chicken watering devices that come in the kits. The problem is the dog bowl water gets too hot and the plastic chicken waterer devices leak like a sieve and sometimes they're empty after 2-3 hours in areas where I know they girls haven't been hanging out ... so they're just plain leaking like crazy.

My question is, do any of y'all know of more reliable and dependable manual water stations for supplying water in more remote areas that can be purchased online?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Take care, and thanks in advance to my fellow chicken advisors! ; -)

Ours in the coop is a 5-gallon bucket DYI with horizontal nipples. We got the nipples on Amazon. We put a dash of RV water freshener in there to keep the water crystal clear for the month it takes them to drink that down (10 chickens). In 6-7 years, we've only had to replace one nipple. If you have a lot of chickens and/or want water available elsewhere, you could make two of those. We have an ice cream bucket up by the house in the shade. I can keep an eye on it there and fill it when necessary. Dogs, cats, and chickens all come to drink there, especially on hot days.

If you want to just buy a nipple bucket, I've seen them on Amazon and elsewhere that are 3-gallons. Some are electric. We heat our coop to keep from freezing water, so don't need a fancy one.

I use the gravity fed plastic waterers, and they DO leak if they are not very level. If the holes get uncovered due to unlevel ground the water will keep seeping out of them. While you work out a new system, check what you have and make sure they are sitting level.

Ours in the coop is a 5-gallon bucket DYI with horizontal nipples. We got the nipples on Amazon. We put a dash of RV water freshener in there to keep the water crystal clear for the month it takes them to drink that down (10 chickens). In 6-7 years, we've only had to replace one nipple. If you have a lot of chickens and/or want water available elsewhere, you could make two of those. We have an ice cream bucket up by the house in the shade. I can keep an eye on it there and fill it when necessary. Dogs, cats, and chickens all come to drink there, especially on hot days.

If you want to just buy a nipple bucket, I've seen them on Amazon and elsewhere that are 3-gallons. Some are electric. We heat our coop to keep from freezing water, so don't need a fancy one.
I like that idea .... especially if I get white ones to keep down the heat absorption. I may have enough spare water nipples on hand to crank a few of those out right away .... and I didn't think to use RV potable water freshener! Brilliant! That sounds like the ticket ... and they can't knock those over, or at least not as easily! You're the BESTEST! Thank you!

I used these, well the type anyway in Spain where above 35C in the summer was common. Still have to change the water daily but put in the shade somewhere they worked well. Plastic and metal are pretty hopeless.

I think that may be just the ticket for inside my extra coop that doesn't have an auto-water system yet ... it won't take as much room as a 5 gal bucket and it looks like it won't leak and won't as easily collect shavings as those cheapo plastic ones, especially if I put it on some tiles. Thank you ... I'm going to look for one!

I use the gravity fed plastic waterers, and they DO leak if they are not very level. If the holes get uncovered due to unlevel ground the water will keep seeping out of them. While you work out a new system, check what you have and make sure they are sitting level.
Thanks ..... and you're right about them being unlevel. I did put the one in my extra coop that doesn't have an auto system yet up on a leveled brick base yesterday and that helped a lot. I still need to make sure I have multiple sources that will last longer before refilling in case I get called away from home for more than a few hours with this heat being so brutal. Very good advice .... thank you! ; )

Back
Top Bottom