Need Run Ideas!

bocephus_the_rooster

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Ok so i'm going to start building my coop finally. i pretty much have the coop planned, but i want to put some wire on a section of the wall instead of wood. anyone know what kind of wire i should use? also, i need some ideas for a run. i was thinking about using plastic orange fencing that people use for construction sites and such figuring that would keep the chickens in, but i guess it won't keep anything out really excpet my dog. anyone have any ideas?

On all windows and vents, use 1/2" hardware cloth. Easy to get in rolls at Lowe's or Home Depot. My entire run is hardware cloth, top to bottom. The run is directly connected to the coop and I never have to close the pop door. The girls are out in the run waiting for me when I get my lazy butt outside around 830am. Chicken wire only keeps chickens in, it keeps NOTHING out!!! Always remember that!
As far as a run goes, I like the plan of installing 8-ft posts into the ground (so that only 6 feet is above ground) then attaching panels that you build alone and screw them to the posts. This way you can alter your run design or expand without the hassle of cutting continuous wire. Many people use chicken wire along the entire run, then add the hardware cloth for the lower 3 feet, it keeps those fat little raccoons out! oh, and don't forget a security apron or burying the wire down about 2 feet, dogs are coyotes are diggers! There are lots of great ideas in the COOP section.

Good Luck!

ok- yeah that is a pretty good idea. i think i'll have to try something like that. it'll be about a week or two before i get started on the run though, just built the frame for the coop today:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom