NEEDED: Roost, nest, bedding recommendations for new coop!

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Hey all! I have my new 8'x7' coop all framed out and ready to put siding on! As I put the final materials together for this new coop, I would love to hear from all of you on what features work best in your own coops orthongs you wish you had done differently! For example, placement of window and vents, roll away nest boxes or other features, how high off the ground are boxes and roosts, what do your roosts look like, flat or rounded, how far are they spaced apart? What about bedding, sand or pine shavings or even deep litter? I have been researching this topic for a few months, but would love to hear your experiences. To view my coop plans so far, as well as my old coop which will undergo renovations before the chicks grow into it, follow the link below. TYIA!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ting-and-another-for-nesting/40#post_18319569

Last edited:

I just finished my new coop. For a blow by blow with photos see my post 'Expanded my run - chicken coop is next'.

Bottom line I used pine shaving in the nesting boxes and the bottom of the coop and SweetPDZ in the poop tray under the roosting bar.

I just finished my new coop. For a blow by blow with photos see my post 'Expanded my run - chicken coop is next'. Bottom line I used pine shaving in the nesting boxes and the bottom of the coop and SweetPDZ in the poop tray under the roosting bar.
Thanks for sharing! I haven't heard of Sweetpdz before! Looks like a great product! Any idea if you can compost it?

I don't know if you can compost it. I use a kitty litter scoop and clean the chicken poop out regularly. The SweetPDZ stays behind and absorbs any ammonia smell.

I bought it from my local farm store. Murdochs in our case.

I don't know if you can compost it. I use a kitty litter scoop and clean the chicken poop out regularly. The SweetPDZ stays behind and absorbs any ammonia smell.

I bought it from my local farm store. Murdochs in our case.

I like it! I like the idea of less feces on the ground and less ammonia too! Really inspiring! I'm excited to try something similar!

Back
Top Bottom