Needs to be isolated?

Sara S

Crossing the Road
May 13, 2020
FL
I was jus wondering shoukd I keep one of my baby chicks separate, he’s a little lethargic since about 10 pm (UsEast) just in case it could be something. One of my other chicks just died on Wednesday , failure to thrive but maybe it was something contagious? They have fresh food and water. Maybe he’s just stresssed because there were people at my house and they wanted to see but no one touched.

I was jus wondering shoukd I keep one of my baby chicks separate, he’s a little lethargic since about 10 pm (UsEast) just in case it could be something. One of my other chicks just died on Wednesday , failure to thrive but maybe it was something contagious? They have fresh food and water. Maybe he’s just stresssed because there were people at my house and they wanted to see but no one touched.
If it's contagious, it's probably late for separation.

Any symptoms of note? Crop? Poop? Eating? Drinking?

Is there anything I can give him, I’m getting some more Dave a chick tommorow morning coz I’m out but is there anything else I can give them

I think it’s a respitory thing coz his nose is runny ish and I just gave him some colloidal silver w water and he’s drinking through a droppper

If it's contagious, it's probably late for separation.

Any symptoms of note? Crop? Poop? Eating? Drinking?
He just pooped, it’s a little liquidy but he hasn’t eaten and it’s a little darker than normal

How old is he? Very young chicks are still absorbing yolk for the first 72 hours of life and won't need to eat just yet.

If it's older, making a mash with his crumble might get it eating and give it some hydration. You can try that with the Sav-a-Chick, too. Or a drop of Nutridrench, if you have some, to his beak might perk him up. Sugar water can do the same in a pinch. Just don't do all of them all at once. Sometimes less is more.

How old is he? Very young chicks are still absorbing yolk for the first 72 hours of life and won't need to eat just yet.

If it's older, making a mash with his crumble might get it eating and give it some hydration. You can try that with the Sav-a-Chick, too. Or a drop of Nutridrench, if you have some, to his beak might perk him up. Sugar water can do the same in a pinch. Just don't do all of them all at once. Sometimes less is more.
I gave him a Drop of colloidal silver and now I’m nebulizing him with it, my friends know a chicken veg and he said it should be okay

Can you get us some photos of your brooder, the chicks and their poop?
If you are brooding with a red light, please turn that off for the photos, Thanks!

How old are they and what are you feeding?
What is the temperature in your brooder - on the warm side and on the cold side?

Back
Top Bottom