Neighbour's drakes harassing our chickens

Jojosine

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Scotland
Hi all
our neighbours have 6 drakes and 4 female ducks. Last year we tried to explain that the drakes are raping the females and that they will come after our (and their) chickens. They lost a chicken due to prolapse, but still don't want to admit that it was probably caused by drakes raping her.
Now we have 10 chickens and a cockerel and I am really worried that those drakes will come after our hens and even try to kill our cockerel.

We have said many times that the drake - female ratio is totally wrong and that we can get rid of some drakes, but nothing has changed.
Rather then just getting rid of their drakes without telling, I wonder if you have any tips on how to persuade them to let us dispatch some of the drakes.

We use their land to let our chickens roam free and it is virtually unlimited space, but they can mingle with the ducks. Does space matter in the way ducks harass chickens?

Any tips on how to deal with this situation is welcome.

It's complicated as we use their land for our chickens and even though our coop is on our property, the chickens can get out into the neighbour's field and thus the ducks can get into our coop.
Besides we live pretty remote, so want to keep good relationship with our one neighbour.

We use their land to let our chickens roam free
Hi there,
while it's unfortunate that your neighbors don't care for their birds properly, I don't think there's much you can do about their birds or convince them to reduce their drake numbers.
Separating your birds and keeping them on your own property will keep the drakes from harassing your birds.

Thank you @nuthatched for your reply. They are not unreasonable; our neighbour's husband wants to get rid of them, but she just can't say goodbye.

Maybe this spring, when the drakes start again, she will see sense and we'll be eating Peking Duck 😋 (sorry, if I upset anyone)

Thank you @nuthatched for your reply. They are not unreasonable; our neighbour's husband wants to get rid of them, but she just can't say goodbye.

Maybe this spring, when the drakes start again, she will see sense and we'll be eating Peking Duck 😋 (sorry, if I upset anyone)
I agree with nuthatched. For the safety of your birds I would not allow them to roam on another person's property that does not want to get rid of theirs even if they are creating a problem for yours. I hope that you can keep yours safe. Even if they have more room to roam by going over there to me it would not be worth jeopardizing their safety. Just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom