Nene Geese

gd, it was actually 4 islands that the Nene goose was inhabitating before the reintroduction, and it is with my understanding, in the 1700 when they were initially introduced to the islands, all the islands except for Oahu were populated with the goose. It does make sense that they were only reintroduced to Maui, Kauai, Hawaii and Molokai due to the remoteness of the reserves with lush vegetation they forage, the lava terrains, and the very similar climate. However, because of the likeness in their ecological surroundings, I dont think there was or could of been any variations to the different populations from one island to the next, as mentioned before too, they were/are mangamus, BUT, because we know that they didnt remove all the Nene's and with speculation that some type of "inbreeding" was used, their may possibly be some slight type of variation of genetics with the natural breeding and inbreeding process, but probably only identifiable by internal research of the goose. I dont believe it was the Nene with the mixed genetics, I dont recall ever hearing about that with the Nene's, though I have heard of using speices of minor variation to inbreed with to increase the population with no change in the outward appearance of the speices. And yes, the Nene on the 4 islands are all uniform. I have had the pleasure of seeing a few Nenes on Kauai and Molokai over the years, but have never made enough trips to Hawaii to have that priviledge. Even though I live right in the area where they have established themselves, it is rare to even come across one in my day to day travels through the country. Occassionally, they have been spotted in semi populated areas without incident to the goose. like the national park and the golf courses, as well as rare occassions of tragedy.

After hearing a little bit more of your experience of the Venus Fly Traps, I know for certain you understand or have felt the same type of betrayal that I am experiencing right now. When it comes to the government, the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing, and its sad because look at our economy right now? Its all about power and the ppl who have put their trust in the government, have a true interest in protecting and preserving our eco system and culture, turn around and get slapped in the face with yet more disappointment!
smack.gif

Not that I want to get into this in-depth conversation about Nenes, but Ryan's birds certainly look like Nene's to me. Comparing captive birds to wild populations is comparing apples to oranges. Nenes have been well established in US aviculture for many, many years. How the initial stock was procured, I don't know. All I know is that I have seen them offered for sale regularly (and for about the same price) for probably at least 20 years (and who knows how long they were established prior).

There is oftentimes not a correlation between wild and captive populations. This holds true for numerous bird species (others types of animals as well). There are numerous examples of birds that are quite rare in the wild, but that breed very readily and are well established in captivity. I can think of a few species of Macaws, including one that was even thought for a time to be extinct, that are extremely easy to breed in captivity and therefore, are now inexpensive while the wild populations are still severely threatened. Also, keep in mind that laws protecting wild populations of threatened species have changed radically over the years, especially after the creation CITES. It's just a different ball game now, not like during the heyday of quarantine when the importers would put out a monthly list of all the birds they had coming out of quarantine (things like various parrot species for $15). Things are so much different now.

Quote:
Thanks CC, I am finding that out, guess when they say that Hawaii is 20 yrs behind in time, they were telling the truth. I did PM Ryan and apologizing for my ignorance over the domestic and wild breeds, I had no clue that their was such a thing until a couple of posters informed me over the past couple of days. And yes, his geese do look like the Nene's here, with slight variations, I just thought Nene's were only wild.
bow.gif

OMG! My husband grew up in Hawaii and I have seen Nene's. They are my favorite animal as that is my nickname. Lol! Our daughter now raises and breeds rare and endangered birds and would LOVE to have a breeding pair of Nene's. She has a permit through her school so that is not a problem. We are in Florida so if anybody knows of any near here we would love to acquire a pair. She pays for all of her animals herself with her fair premiums that she earns each year and she is looking to find a job this summer to further save for her animals and their care.

I see this is a very old thread on Nene but I've been interested in them for years and hoping that there may be breeders in my area now. I'm finally ready to purchase some. I am located in Aguanga (SE of Temecula) and would like to chat with breeders and see if I can purchase a breeding pair or start with goslings. I've raised Canadian Geese and Brown Chinese in the past. Currently have Muscovy Ducks, chickens, wild turkeys, guinea fowl.

I see this is a very old thread on Nene but I've been interested in them for years and hoping that there may be breeders in my area now. I'm finally ready to purchase some. I am located in Aguanga (SE of Temecula) and would like to chat with breeders and see if I can purchase a breeding pair or start with goslings. I've raised Canadian Geese and Brown Chinese in the past. Currently have Muscovy Ducks, chickens, wild turkeys, guinea fowl.

@DebbieSkinner

Welcome to BYC

when you click on the forum go down till you see the thread "where am i where are you" look up your state and let everyone know what you have and are interested in. This way someone may have some or know of some one.
We also have a buy sell trade thread here.

Do you still have Nene geese? Do you know where I can get a pair? I have wanted some for years.....I really would like to have two unrelated pairs. But would settle for what I can get
Thank you!

Quote:
Did you ever find your nene geese? I am currently hatching some out and have about 10 eggs in the incubator. They are somewhat difficult to hatch but I do will likely have a couple available for purchase here in SoCal.

Quote:

Did you ever find your nene geese? I am currently hatching some out and have about 10 eggs in the incubator. They are somewhat difficult to hatch but I do will likely have a couple available for purchase here in SoCal.
Im interested if you are still active here!

Yes... CC You are right.. I think that is why there isnt many in the eastern states.. Most of them are in CA IMO. No permit to keep them but that would suck if I ever moved to Oregon!

Ryan
Dont think you'll respond since I'm guessing you are inactive but Im near you in CA and interested in some Nenes

Back
Top Bottom