Nesting boxes

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
How far off the ground do the nesting boxes need to be? I've attached a pic of our coop as of so far. Still have alot of work on it. The big opening is where the door is going for easy reach of the nesting boxes.
20220819_135400.jpg

How far off the ground do the nesting boxes need to be? I've attached a pic of our coop as of so far. Still have alot of work on it. The big opening is where the door is going for easy reach of the nesting boxes.View attachment 3230489
This is tiny. And there is no real floor space because of all the cinder blocks. I just can't get my head around how this is being constructed.
Do you have a sketch of what this is going to look like when it's done?
Are you only keeping bantams?

This is tiny. And there is no real floor space because of all the cinder blocks. I just can't get my head around how this is being constructed.
No sketch. The floor is going to set on the cinder blocks. We are building it like that because the patio underneath is very uneven.

We are planning on the smaller sized birds. Our property isn't very big. Right now we have a bantam and the other 3 are either silkies or d'uccles. We are looking at getting a couple golden comets.

Thank you, we ran they had to be lower than the roosting bars. But we couldn't remember if there was a certain level off the ground

The minimum is just high enough above floor level to not be drowned in dirty bedding. :)

I set mine up at a convenient height for my back back so I don't have to bend, but lots of people are fine with bending down to collect the eggs.

The minimum is just high enough above floor level to not be drowned in dirty bedding. :)

I set mine up at a convenient height for my back back so I don't have to bend, but lots of people are fine with bending down to collect the eggs.
Okay, I know we are working with little space here. But our backyard is small anyway and we are planning on 6 birds no more than 8. The limit is 10 where we live. My husband has a bad back as well but I know I will be the one gathering the eggs mostly.

Okay, I know we are working with little space here. But our backyard is small anyway and we are planning on 6 birds no more than 8. The limit is 10 where we live. My husband has a bad back as well but I know I will be the one gathering the eggs mostly.
That coop is very small for 6 birds. Even bantams.

Back
Top Bottom