Never use a heat lamp

Well I'm not unplugging my coffee pot haha. All the things you list sound like juat common sense electrical issues except water shattering the bulb and startled chickens flying into the lamp, both of which are preventable by having something like a grate between the chicks and the lamp. I use a dog kennel panel and an appliance box so my heat lamp doesnt rely on those silly wires over it. I'm not saying heat lamps are safe but I'm still not convinced that a little common sense can't make them safe enough to use for a couple weeks. My real question is how this happened in this particular case since the op seems very certain that was the cause of this horrendous fire. I am certainly open to brooding a different, "safer" way but my heating pad doesn't get hot enough for my arthritis and has so many warnings on it I'm not convinced that's the way to go either lol. Lots of time to do more research before next spring though. I believe I read your thread about the MHP and it does look more natural than having a light on 24/7.
As I said, even with a cage around it, panicked chickens have been known to fly into a heat lamp and just the sudden jarring was enough to shatter the protected bulb.

I don’t want a “hot” heating pad. The average temperature on the floor of the “cave” under Mama Heating Pad averages between 82.5 degrees and 85 degrees. That’s perfect for chicks. If it’s up to 95 degrees under there, something is seriously wrong. They don’t spend that much time under it anyway, which never fails to surprise me with every batch. And I don’t want their entire environment heated, either. I don’t need the floors, the walls,the bedding, the food and the water warmed up. MHP works by warming chicks directly, just as a broody hen does. If they need a quick warm-up, they duck under. If they get spooked, or as the sun goes down, they duck under. If they want a catnap, they either duck under or snuggle on top. They decide what their needs are, and they meet them.

You’re right, 90% of whatever we do electrically is common sense. But accidents still happen. They can happen with Mama Heating Pad, too. I’m not so naïve that I don’t see that clearly. But again, as I said, I’d far rather take my chances with a heating device I can hold in my hand over one that I couldn’t safely touch with a fingertip. ;)

So I’m in Las Vegas and the winter is say 40s if hot now and possibly colder some nights 36….babies are being hatched with a broody mama today …. is it just fine to be with mama only ? I don’t need to add any additional heating sources correct?

So I’m in Las Vegas and the winter is say 40s if hot now and possibly colder some nights 36….babies are being hatched with a broody mama today …. is it just fine to be with mama only ? I don’t need to add any additional heating sources correct?
Nope. If she Can cover them mostly, then they should be good

So 5 have hatched it’s day three now and one is left no pip. Is this a concern? We have had a 100% hatch rate with our chicks but usually they all come within two days…..

The mother hen will do just fine.

I just had a necropsy done on 21 dead chickens that I found laying on the floor of my chicken coop this morning. Took them to Missouri University veterinary pathology lab. They found their lungs showed inflammatory changes like they’d’s breathe noxious gas. It was the Teflon heat lamps. I had just put out there for the new babies killed all my chickens in less than 10 hours. Apparently the Teflon shatter resistant heat lamps produce a fume that is fatal for chickens.

Back
Top Bottom