New 4-week old turkey poults issue

mo_fawaaz

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2024
These birds really don't know how to survive..

I got four young bronze heritage turkey poults (each a little more than 4 weeks old, well feathered) yesterday and I kept them in a coop with a heat lamp along with my young chickens and mallards. The chickens and mallards eat fine, but the turkeys are always in the corner huddled up. They do not eat or drink. I hand-fed all of them yesterday because they were starting to look weak. A day has passed and they are still not eating or drinking (I thought that the chicks would teach them, but they just stare at the chicks without eating with them).

I heard that young poults will starve themselves to death so I bought older poults. Sadly the older poults seem like they are starving themselves to death too. If they are stressed (since they are in a new environment), how long will they remain in this state? Should I still continue hand feeding them?

These birds really don't know how to survive..

I got four young bronze heritage turkey poults (each a little more than 4 weeks old, well feathered) yesterday and I kept them in a coop with a heat lamp along with my young chickens and mallards. The chickens and mallards eat fine, but the turkeys are always in the corner huddled up. They do not eat or drink. I hand-fed all of them yesterday because they were starting to look weak. A day has passed and they are still not eating or drinking (I thought that the chicks would teach them, but they just stare at the chicks without eating with them).

I heard that young poults will starve themselves to death so I bought older poults. Sadly the older poults seem like they are starving themselves to death too. If they are stressed (since they are in a new environment), how long will they remain in this state? Should I still continue hand feeding them?
You should separate them from the other poultry. They still need a high protein turkey or game bird starter feed.

Your other poultry are probably keeping them from the feed and water.

Last edited:
I’ve raised poults and ducklings together- but it is a pain, because the ducklings make SUCH a mess.
And the Tom turkeys need to be separated from the duck hens once they are coming of age....
With the possible exception of you planning to butcher before they start to try to breed all hens in their area.

I usually hatch ducklings and poults together, and they are gone (or separated) within about 2 days most of the time.

My guess is that @R2elk is right, and your other fowl are keeping them off the feed.

If it is not possible to separate your birds... and you don’t want to sell them.
I’d make sure there are many different feeding and watering “stations” in the coop, and also outside in the run if possible.
I’d also add electrolytes to some of the water options (esp those closest to where the turkeys hang in the coop).
I would also scramble some eggs, and offer them (warmish is ok but not hot) scrambled eggs to get them a protein boost.

But. As r2elk pointed out, chickens and turkeys have different needs when it comes to protein content in their feed. They also can share some diseases (like blackhead), and it’s best to keep them separate if possible.

I know quite a few people who successfully keep them together, but I also know several people who have run into trouble.

Best of luck to you and your turkeys!
How old are they?

I’ve raised poults and ducklings together- but it is a pain, because the ducklings make SUCH a mess.
And the Tom turkeys need to be separated from the duck hens once they are coming of age....
With the possible exception of you planning to butcher before they start to try to breed all hens in their area.

I usually hatch ducklings and poults together, and they are gone (or separated) within about 2 days most of the time.

My guess is that @R2elk is right, and your other fowl are keeping them off the feed.

If it is not possible to separate your birds... and you don’t want to sell them.
I’d make sure there are many different feeding and watering “stations” in the coop, and also outside in the run if possible.
I’d also add electrolytes to some of the water options (esp those closest to where the turkeys hang in the coop).
I would also scramble some eggs, and offer them (warmish is ok but not hot) scrambled eggs to get them a protein boost.

But. As r2elk pointed out, chickens and turkeys have different needs when it comes to protein content in their feed. They also can share some diseases (like blackhead), and it’s best to keep them separate if possible.

I know quite a few people who successfully keep them together, but I also know several people who have run into trouble.

Best of luck to you and your turkeys!
How old are they?
Thanks for the advice. I set up many waterers and feeders and sprinkled some food on the floor. They are starting to peck around at the floor and explore a bit..

They are all a little more than 4 weeks old.

You should separate them from the other poultry. They still need a high protein turkey or game bird starter feed.

Yeah, I think that's the issue. The second I fill up the feeder the chicks and ducks swarm all over it like bees.

I set up more feeders and waterers now and they are starting to explore a bit.
This is my first time raising turkeys.. I raised quail, chickens, pigeons, pheasants, partridge, and ducks but none of them were so difficult to care for as these naughty poults.

I hope to free range the poults when they get older. When and how should I start training these 4-week old birds to free range? I know that chickens teach the ducks to come back home but is it different for turkeys?

I hope to free range the poults when they get older. When and how should I start training these 4-week old birds to free range? I know that chickens teach the ducks to come back home but is it different for turkeys?
When can start as soon as they are comfortable where they are.

At first only let them out when you have the time to stay and monitor them. You can take them on walks. If they don't follow you, you can herd them.

You can herd them when it is time to go in for the evening. Make sure you always get them in.

It can help if you have desirable roosts for them. My adult turkeys spend the nights on their roosts which are in an area protected from the prevailing wind.

I don't let any of the youngsters roost outside until they are at least 3 months old.

Yeah, I think that's the issue. The second I fill up the feeder the chicks and ducks swarm all over it like bees.

I set up more feeders and waterers now and they are starting to explore a bit.
This is my first time raising turkeys.. I raised quail, chickens, pigeons, pheasants, partridge, and ducks but none of them were so difficult to care for as these naughty poults.

When can start as soon as they are comfortable where they are.

At first only let them out when you have the time to stay and monitor them. You can take them on walks. If they don't follow you, you can herd them.

You can herd them when it is time to go in for the evening. Make sure you always get them in.

It can help if you have desirable roosts for them. My adult turkeys spend the nights on their roosts which are in an area protected from the prevailing wind.

I don't let any of the youngsters roost outside until they are at least 3 months old.
Thanks for the tips !

Back
Top Bottom