New Chick Momma with Lots of Questions!

tcromwell

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
I've had my 3 hens for about 5 months now. One was broody and a friend gave us some fertilized eggs. Today, the first of 9 hatched and I'm just now realizing how unprepared I am. I have so many questions so pleases be patient with me. :)

• Pictures of my current setup are attached. We are currently building a larger coop and run area. If the remaining 8 eggs hatch within the next two weeks, will this be enough room for the chicks, momma, and the other two hens? Weather permitting, the new coop will be ready within 2 weeks.
  • My friend suggested that I place chick starter food and water inside the coop near the momma and chick. When will the chicks start eating?
  • Is it okay if I hold the chick when momma is outside eating?
  • Can the other two hens stay in the coop? I noticed they were sleeping on top of the coop last night (which explains the extra poop on top of the coop so they must have been sleeping up there for about a week or so). The coop door closes shortly after sundown and they've always gone inside in plenty of time so I don't think they were outside because they got 'locked' out so to speak. Should I be worried that they want to sleep outside the coop now?
What else should I know? Thank you in advance for all of the wonderful insight and feedback you're going to share!
IMG-0374.jpg

IMG-0371.jpg

Nervous chick momma,
Tammy

Last edited:
Pictures of my current setup are attached. We are currently building a larger coop and run area. If the remaining 8 eggs hatch within the next two weeks, will this be enough room for the chicks, momma, and the other two hens?
Theres a good chance momma will only sit a day or so longer for the others to hatch, any that don't hatch in the next day or so weren't going to. Have you candled at all?

• My friend suggested that I place chick starter food and water inside the coop near the momma and chick. When will the chicks start eating?
  • Is it okay if I hold the chick when momma is outside eating?
All your hens can eat the chick feed but having her own feeder will help. The chicks can go a few days without eating as they still have their yolks absorbed.
You can hold them but momm might get peeved or not leave the nest until the rest are hatched.
They might be sleeping on the coop since momma is being territorial.

Theres a good chance momma will only sit a day or so longer for the others to hatch, any that don't hatch in the next day or so weren't going to. Have you candled at all?

All your hens can eat the chick feed but having her own feeder will help. The chicks can go a few days without eating as they still have their yolks absorbed.
You can hold them but momm might get peeved or not leave the nest until the rest are hatched.
They might be sleeping on the coop since momma is being territorial.
I haven’t candeled but will do so tomorrow. Thank you so much for your feedback and guidance!

Back
Top Bottom