New chicks and a bully

May 12, 2022
I have 2 new pullets, that I'm adding to my 4 existing pullets. I've done the dog kennel method for a few days. None of them seem to care about the others at all anymore. No one is poking their head through or anything. So today I let them out. The 2 new ones seem to integrate just fine with 3 of the old ones. Though the 2 newbies are staying side by side, for the most part there seem to be no problems at all. However...I have 1 buff orp hen who seems to be a bit of a bully. If they walk past her, she goes after them to peck. Sometimes she just chases up to them to peck them for no reason. She has both of then with their heads in a corner as we speak, cowering in fear as she stands over them. She doesn't go full on assault. No blood is drawn. She just gives a few pecks flaps her feathers and lets them know that she's the boss. When she decides she wants to let them know she's boss again, after them she goes again. But none of the other birds even seem to notice that they are here. Is this normal? Will it stop/slow down in the near future? Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• 1655143078400.gif
    1655143078400.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 13
  • 1655143078465.gif
    1655143078465.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5
  • 1655143078255.gif
    1655143078255.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 4
  • 1655143078563.gif
    1655143078563.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2
  • 1655143078330.gif
    1655143078330.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 2
  • 1655143078625.gif
    1655143078625.gif
    42 bytes · Views: 5
Often time this is exactly what happens. Most accept them, one or two are heartless. The easiest thing is to put the bully in the crate where you had the chicks.

What does your run look like? Is it a bare open rectangle where as every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time? If so, add more clutter. A lot more clutter will really help. Ladders, saw horses, chairs, large totes on their sides, pallets, platforms where birds can get under or on top, mini walls are all ways of blocking line of sight and can really allow more birds to live in harmony, and while it looks cluttered, it actually gives more space as birds can use the vertical space.

What you do need to worry about is food. Sometimes a bully like that will guard the feed bowl and not let them eat. By adding clutter, you can add a feed bowl that cannot be seen by other birds eating at a different feed bowl.

Or you can get pin-less peepers - which in small flocks has really helped some people.

Mrs K

Often time this is exactly what happens. Most accept them, one or two are heartless. The easiest thing is to put the bully in the crate where you had the chicks.

What does your run look like? Is it a bare open rectangle where as every bird can see every other bird 100% of the time? If so, add more clutter. A lot more clutter will really help. Ladders, saw horses, chairs, large totes on their sides, pallets, platforms where birds can get under or on top, mini walls are all ways of blocking line of sight and can really allow more birds to live in harmony, and while it looks cluttered, it actually gives more space as birds can use the vertical space.

What you do need to worry about is food. Sometimes a bully like that will guard the feed bowl and not let them eat. By adding clutter, you can add a feed bowl that cannot be seen by other birds eating at a different feed bowl.

Or you can get pin-less peepers - which in small flocks has really helped some people.

Mrs K
I have lots of hiding places. I've seen the newbies eat and drink today. So that's ok. No blood has been drawn, justaggression, showing who's boss. I think it's already starting to get better actually. So I don't think I'll have to lock up the bully. But I'm keeping an eye out.

How old are the pullets? I'm betting your Orpington is lowest in rank and enjoying that she just moved up. At least that's always how it goes with mine. The top ladies don't really care and then the bottom that used to be so sweet and you are used to feeling bad for them, turn mean to the little's. It's just natural order and I wouldn't do anything, except provide places to get away like you have already. Hopefully they're old enough that it won't be to long before they're same size.... I keep mine in same run yet separated by wire fence and same coop yet separate rooms for several weeks. I just fully integrated my most recent additions at 15weeks, zero issues.

How old are the pullets? I'm betting your Orpington is lowest in rank and enjoying that she just moved up. At least that's always how it goes with mine. The top ladies don't really care and then the bottom that used to be so sweet and you are used to feeling bad for them, turn mean to the little's. It's just natural order and I wouldn't do anything, except provide places to get away like you have already. Hopefully they're old enough that it won't be to long before they're same size.... I keep mine in same run yet separated by wire fence and same coop yet separate rooms for several weeks. I just fully integrated my most recent additions at 15weeks, zero issues.
They are all 10 week old pullets. I had a roo, so I replaced him with 2 more pullets.

24 hours integrated and still no bloodshed. Newbies entered coop last night with the others. I had to help 1 roost. Woke up and went straight to the food with everyone else. I have to go into the office today, so praying everything stays ok.

Back
Top Bottom