New chicks constantly sneezing!

CharmingChickens

🦜🦃🐓🦢🦆Started with chickens now has an army 🦆🦢🐓🦃🦜
Apr 30, 2023
Maine
Got 5 chicks from valley hatchery 1 week ago, brought them outside today for a little bit and I noticed they kept sneezing. They are very lively and are happily jumping around! But the sneezing is odd. They live in a bin with pine shavings. I've had chickens for 5 years and never once had an issue with the bedding. First time ordering from valley hatchery, all chicks came alive and happy. Just the sneezing. Is that normal?

I got chicks from a “breeder” that sneezed since the day I got them. Nothing else seemed amiss so I assumed it was bedding or dust from their food, or environmental - no discharge, poop was normal, energy was great, etc.

About 3 months later the sneeze changed to an almost honk/sneeze sound so I spoke to a local vet and she prescribed an Rx - sneezing went away in a matter of days and they never had any other symptoms (before or after the Rx).

I got chicks from a “breeder” that sneezed since the day I got them. Nothing else seemed amiss so I assumed it was bedding or dust from their food, or environmental - no discharge, poop was normal, energy was great, etc.

About 3 months later the sneeze changed to an almost honk/sneeze sound so I spoke to a local vet and she prescribed an Rx - sneezing went away in a matter of days and they never had any other symptoms (before or after the Rx).
I’ll keep an eye on them and see what happens. Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom