New chicks question

ShaneM

Chirping
May 28, 2015
hello everyone. I have a question. I’ve got 2 coops on the property. One has all my layers that range from 2 years to 5 years in age. I decided to add to them this year so built another coop to raise a new batch till they are old enough to get along with the older hens. Now I noticed a couple weeks ago one of my 2 year old hens disappeared. I’ve had some problems with predators on the property so figured that’s all it was. Well today well in the shop I could hear all kinds of chirping. Turns out she hid in the grass and has hatched some more chicks lol. Now my question is. Should I just leave her in the wild and fend for them selves? Or would they be ok to mix in with my spring hatch? They would be about 3 months old now. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 5BA98ACC-9895-4CC5-84A7-B92F47309136.jpeg
    5BA98ACC-9895-4CC5-84A7-B92F47309136.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 10
If your hen is a good mother then she should be able to care for them in the coup that she currently lives in. Does she and the babies have access to starter feed?

They are not in a coup at the moment. She had them in the field beside the shop. No they don’t at the moment because I didn’t know they were going to be coming lol.

Hi what a lovely surprise for you, they are beautiful. Do not mind me saying,
it would be such a shame, leaving her in the wild. What if a predator came along,
which they will, and take the Mama and her beautiful babies. You will be heartbroken.
If you have a coop for her, bring them all in, where you know, they will be safe.
It will also be less stress for you too. She will soon adapt in the coop. Good luck. :love

Generally the mother hen integrates her babies into her own flocks coup. Maybe put some straw in the coup for her and the babies to sleep on.

So they would be fine to ad into the coup with my 3 month old chickens? They won’t attack each other?

Hi what a lovely surprise for you, they are beautiful. Do not mind me saying,
it would be such a shame, leaving her in the wild. What if a predator came along,
which they will, and take the Mama and her beautiful babies. You will be heartbroken.
If you have a coop for her, bring them all in, where you know, they will be safe.
It will also be less stress for you too. She will soon adapt in the coop. Good luck. :love

Yes I want to bring them in a coup. Just wondering if the babies would be fine to just add in with the 3 month old ones and they would get along ok.

If i were you, i would try them, and keep your eye on them, if you see any bullying,
then of course you will need to separate them. Yet if they are with their Mama, she
would make sure they come to no harm. Especially if she is a good Mama. Just keep your eye on them, i know it is time consuming, but at least you will know one way or the other.
They all may get along just fine, fingers crossed. But i would not let them in the wild.
They are to beautiful, to lose. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom