New Cockerel Causing Issues

Cradd

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2022
I have 4 one year old hens, and decided to integrate 2 pullets and a cockerel (which was an accident) to my flock. They are about 4 to 5 months old. I have had the new kids for a month, and integrated them slowly. The problem is the hens cannot stand the cockerel, and the little new girls are glued to his side so they get caught in the crossfire. They seem to be ok with everyone but him at this point. Do I just continue to wait it out? Will rehoming him help or just restart the whole pecking order? He is a dual purpose bird, so wasn’t sure if he could end up on the dinner table. I still need to do my research on that. TIA

Personally - I think roosters taught their manners by older hens, tend to turn out better. But he might not. Yes you can serve him up on the dinner platter - but IMO he will be better in soups or casseroles - not KFC kind of chicken. I would not keep him too long is dinner is the decision.

Always have a plan B with a rooster. You might try putting him, where you had the trio, and just seeing how the pullets and hens are doing. Then make your decision.

Mrs K

I just roasted an 8 month old ameracauna rooster and he was tender and delicious. A dual purpose roo should be even better than the lean little nugget of dark meat.

Your older hens will straighten him out. Give it a few weeks and see if it all settles out.

Back
Top Bottom