New Duck momma

aussie10girl

Hatching
Feb 29, 2024
Good morning!
I am very new to owning ducks. We just got our first two ducklings that are a week and a half old. I’ve noticed that one of them are breathing with their mouth open like they are hot but, the other one that’s in the same brooder is acting just fine. What should I do?

Good morning!
I am very new to owning ducks. We just got our first two ducklings that are a week and a half old. I’ve noticed that one of them are breathing with their mouth open like they are hot but, the other one that’s in the same brooder is acting just fine. What should I do?
use a thermometer to check the temp in the brooder. at a week and a half old one side should be around 80° and the other side should be cooler so they can get away from the heat when they want to. The water should be on the cool side the food somewhere in between you just need to have one warm spot for when they’re cold, not the whole brooder

use a thermometer to check the temp in the brooder. at a week and a half old one side should be around 80° and the other side should be cooler so they can get away from the heat when they want to. The water should be on the cool side the food somewhere in between you just need to have one warm spot for when they’re cold, not the whole brooder
Well, I took him out and was holding him to see if he was too warm and he started panting again.

I have heard of this condition before. In this case, I suggest checking his/her nose; ducks need to clean them in water, and I think this may be the problem. If it is, show the duck where the water is by dipping their beak in, and hopefully they'll recover.

Back
Top Bottom