New Ducks Question

Livingenergyfarm

Hatching
Aug 13, 2023
Hi I'm new, and live on an offgrid farm in Virginia (livingenergyfarm.org) We keep a few ducks for eggs. I just bought 6 six-month old female ducks that I was told were indian Runners. I thought they didn't look like Runners, but I naively bought them anyway since the lady assured me they were. Back home I researched and couldn't find any Runners that look like them. Through texting with the seller after i brought them home I'm informed that the mother is Blue Swedish and the Drake is pure runner. Blue Swedish are low egg layers and i wondered what laying capacity a mix with Runners would make. Upon further questioning the lady tells me
her 3 blue Swedish would lay 5 eggs a day (and her Rouens 6).

I'm wondering if I've been duped. I read that more than 1egg a day is rare and certainly wouldn't happen on a regular basis. I wanted good egg layers and thought I was getting that with the runners. If she's telling me the truth, ive got some miracle egg layers 😀, but I'm quiet suspicious. I'm wondering if these ducks are really even a mix with Runners. Feels like may have ended up with six ducks I'm going to have to feed with a low return on eggs. We don't want ducks for meat

I've attached photos. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brenda

Attachments

• 20230812_134300.jpg
    20230812_134300.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230812_134002.jpg
    20230812_134002.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230812_133949.jpg
    20230812_133949.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230812_133946.jpg
    20230812_133946.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 15
Hi I'm new, and live on an offgrid farm in Virginia (livingenergyfarm.org) We keep a few ducks for eggs. I just bought 6 six-month old female ducks that I was told were indian Runners. I thought they didn't look like Runners, but I naively bought them anyway since the lady assured me they were. Back home I researched and couldn't find any Runners that look like them. Through texting with the seller after i brought them home I'm informed that the mother is Blue Swedish and the Drake is pure runner. Blue Swedish are low egg layers and i wondered what laying capacity a mix with Runners would make. Upon further questioning the lady tells me
her 3 blue Swedish would lay 5 eggs a day (and her Rouens 6).

I'm wondering if I've been duped. I read that more than 1egg a day is rare and certainly wouldn't happen on a regular basis. I wanted good egg layers and thought I was getting that with the runners. If she's telling me the truth, ive got some miracle egg layers 😀, but I'm quiet suspicious. I'm wondering if these ducks are really even a mix with Runners. Feels like may have ended up with six ducks I'm going to have to feed with a low return on eggs. We don't want ducks for meat

I've attached photos. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brenda
In Dave Holderread’s book, Storey’s guide to Raising Ducks, he says that good egg laying is a trait which seems to be passed through the father. So, hopefully you will have lots of eggs from their Runner dad and big eggs thanks to their Swedish mother.

Back
Top Bottom