New Egg Layers

CentralPerchCA

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2023
My 55 Flowery Hen laid her first egg. on 12/17, her second on 12/19, a shell-less egg on 12/21, and then her fourth egg on 12/24. Nothing on 12/25, 12/26, or 12/27.

My Olive Egger laid her first on 12/19, second on 12/22, third on 12/24, and fourth today, 12/27.

This is my first go around with chickens, so I want to make sure I am not missing anything with my 55 Flowery Hen. I know they are irregular at first, but I've read about chickens being egg-bound, and I don't want to miss any signs.

I'd love to hear what it was like for others' chickens when they first started laying. Thank you!

I usually have between 20 and 25 layers. I often get between 15 and 18 eggs a day during the summer. I have no idea who's laying what so I don't worry about it. Your hens will be fine, laying eggs is what they do. A hen that has problems looks and acts sick and miserable, so as long as they're eating, drinking, pooping, scratching, grooming, dusting and generally acting like chickens, don't worry about them.

Back
Top Bottom