New hatchling, HELP!!!

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
He just hatched a couple hours ago under a hen, found him by the door of my coop and there’s no way he could have gotten out himself. Wondering if one of my two broodies that are sharing the same clutch tossed him out knowing he won’t make it?

what can I do to try helping him? Tried some warm water with honey but he won’t take it. He is chirping, but not a lot. Doing a little better now than he was when I first found him.

where I’m pointing is where I found him, quite a ways from the elevated nesting box. Video didn’t link, it’s it my “reply” below.

Attachments

• 052C9D7F-0A18-40AD-A7B9-142374B358A1.jpeg
    052C9D7F-0A18-40AD-A7B9-142374B358A1.jpeg
    640.3 KB · Views: 6
He just hatched a couple hours ago under a hen, found him by the door of my coop and there’s no way he could have gotten out himself. Wondering if one of my two broodies that are sharing the same clutch tossed him out knowing he won’t make it?

what can I do to try helping him? Tried some warm water with honey but he won’t take it. He is chirping, but not a lot. Doing a little better now than he was when I first found him.

where I’m pointing is where I found him, quite a ways from the elevated nesting box.
https://youtube.com/shorts/-STkfNyIyG0?feature=share

Yes, honey does help chickens, but yours is very small to be eating just yet. As far as I know, the only thing you can do is make sure and keep him warm
It’s on the heating mat in the brooder and we put a stuffed animal in there with it too 🤷🏻‍♀️ When I first brought it in it was hardly moving, now it’s trying but it doesn’t seem to be able to get its legs under them. Lots of chirps now! Still only appears to have one eye open though. Hard to tell without over handling at this point.

Yes, putting in a stuffed animal is a good idea. I wouldn’t worry about it not walking just yet, it’s it’s probably just weak from it’s ordeal. If you found him quick enough he should be ok. However, if he is not more active by tomorrow their might be a problem

Back
Top Bottom