New hen,active,bright but gurgly and clear runny nose.

Kayakoda13

In the Brooder
May 30, 2023
So I got a dark brahma hen, I'm told she just turned 4. Right off the bat I saw a bad lice infestation so treating that. On the day I brought her home, Saturday, she was gurgling loudly and gaping for air, cough occasionally. She laid an egg in the pet taxi I brought her home in before I could even take her out. And another egg today.
Eyes are clear, eating and drinking, and by the very next day the gurgling is occasional instead of constant. Seems to get worse when I pick her up and her crop feels soggy like. Not gaping for air anymore either.
Clear runny nose and a little growls gurgling is all now. I just don't know what it is. I have her quarantined indoors in a wire cage with pee pads. Her poops are healthy and normal too.
Sour crop? Some kind of permanent disease? Gapeworm?

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink to make sure it's emptying.

She's laying eggs, but feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs to see if there's a feeling of bloat or fluid.

She does have a runny nose? Photos of her and her beak/nostrils/face?

How are you treating the lice?
How do her legs look? Any Scaly Leg Mites?

A couple of questions...
Do you have respiratory disease in your flock currently?
What is the main reason you got this hen? Is she part of a project for breeding or?
What are your chicken keeping goals - do you wish to raise/sell chicks, birds, hatching eggs or show chickens?

Personally, I would not add a bird to my flock that had any symptoms of runny nose/mucous, gurgling, lice, etc. I would cut my loses and cull.
That may not be something you wish to hear and it does sound a bit harsh, but very often this is how folks end up with lifetime respiratory disease within their flock.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I messed up and have to type it all out again.
Hatched my 5 month old birds from purchased eggs. No respiratory diseases to date in any of mine. Being careful and not cross contaminating.

I was hoping to get chicks from her she's beautiful and very friendly.
No mites
Good color.
I felt her vent and belly and that's all normal.
I've left her with food and water all night so I'll have to check it the next night.
She just gets a bit of wet under her nostrils you can't even see it in pics but I will try tomorrow. It's like overnight she was 10 times better. I sprayed her with Adam's dog and cat spray to knock out the lice. Dead ones all under her cage on the pee pad. I know she had to feel better after that. I've eradicated them before so I'm not even worried about that. I'm just hoping it's not a respiratory thing, she will not be added to my birds if that's the case.

Back
Top Bottom