New home winterproofing/bird flu protection

Chicken_Hotel

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
8744AEC5-BCBA-47F2-AECB-29B2049F8E8F.jpeg

Morning,
After loosing my last 2 chickens to a daytime fox, I have constructed a more robust and bigger house so my chickens will primarily be in here.
Yesterday we welcomed 4 new friends, meet Pumpkin, Chickolina, Brownie & Darcy!
I am wondering about using something to weather proof, and also provide cover as per bird flu directives… currently it is just chicken wire & wood.
Do you lovely people have any suggestions? I’d like it to look smart as it’s out the front in our driveway!
Thanks 😊

If you want to protect them from ground predators you'll need something more robust than chicken wire. And if you want to keep rats, mice and weasels out, you should use 1/2" hardware cloth. Otherwise you can run some hot wires around your setup.
You can run purlins across the rafters and install metal or polycarbonate roofing panels to keep out rain and snow if you are in snow country. Do you know what the porch is in the roof and what your snow load is? You may need to beef up the framing to support your local snow load.
To keep digging predators out, install an apron.
For winterization, install clear poly sheeting or shower curtains over the lower 3/4 of the walls for wind protection.

Last edited:
If you want to protect them from ground predators you'll need something more robust than chicken wire. And if you want to keep rats, mice and weasels out, you should use 1/2" hardware cloth. Otherwise you can run some hot wires around your setup.
You can run purlins across the rafters and install metal or polycarbonate roofing panels to keep out rain and snow if you are in snow country. Do you know what the porch is in the roof and what your snow load is? You may need to beef up the framing to support your local snow load.
To keep digging predators out, install an apron.
Thanks, I have dug the chicken wire into the ground on 3 sides, the other is concrete. We don’t really get snow (we’re south UK). Some rats etc but 3 cats do a good job there!
I’ll look at polycarbonate roofing. That could be a good one. Thanks

For bird flu protection you need a solid roof.

Just for info - a prevention zone across the entire UK has been announced today making it a requirement to keep your birds inside. This seems to be an annual occurrence now so worth doing properly.

ps - nice run!
Thank you!
Yes, I saw that, although just fenced for now, housing only in the East but it won’t be far off.
Thanks, I’ll keep looking at what will look/work best.

Back
Top Bottom