New homers question

bnew17

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2010
GEORGIA
I picked up 5 young homers. Are they called squeakers? I got them from the previous owner (who did NOT fly them) 2 weeks ago. He recommended that I keep them in the coop 4 weeks before releasing them. My question is, what is the best way to introduce them out of the pen? I have a bob door and when I put them in the coop originally, I put them in through the bobs. Do I need to get a hold of them a few more times and put them through the bobs so they will learn that is the way back in, or will they naturally do that? Do i release them individually, or leave the door open?

Is there a landing platform in front of the bobs? I like to build a settling cage on the landing platform, leave the bobs open, and allow young birds access to the landing platform while protected by the settling cage. I actually make the settling cage large enough that they can access the loft roof and view their 'home'.

Is there a landing platform in front of the bobs? I like to build a settling cage on the landing platform, leave the bobs open, and allow young birds access to the landing platform while protected by the settling cage. I actually make the settling cage large enough that they can access the loft roof and view their 'home'.
Yes I have a landing platform. This is the coop i just built.

Attachments

• 783A0D61-6AF6-4B64-8703-74C0979CE70A.jpeg
    783A0D61-6AF6-4B64-8703-74C0979CE70A.jpeg
    765.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Yes I have a landing platform. This is the coop i just built.
Looks good. I’ve trained birds to go in and out of the trap loads of times without a settling cage but it makes everything way easier. The settling cage could be as simple as a wire dog kennel you fix to the side of the coop, so that the only option for the pigeons is to stay in the cage or use the bobs to enter the loft. Do this when they’re hungry and they should come right in. You can also pin one or two of the bobs up the first couple times, I’ve found that this makes the birds much less nervous to go through them. Beware that if you don’t have all the bobs down they can get back out, though.

Back
Top Bottom