New Keets

robin416

Songster
12 Years
Feb 6, 2007
Well, I did the one thing that I said I wouldn't let happen, one of my girls snuck off and laid in a windrow. I left her, we're fenced, I have the four dogs that keep predators off the property so I let her be.

This morning I heard her calling from the windrow very early, her mate was going nuts wanting out of the coop to get to her. I knew the eggs were hatching.

I left them alone until late in the morning but I watched for what all was going on. Finally the pair appeared and headed for the pond which meant there was another 200 feet to get to the coop. I went down and stood behind the proud parents and watched. I was tolerated but just barely.

It was amazing to see. The parents would begin to talk and move the keets a few feet. When one would get hung up in the grass the mother went back to wait for it. When the keets started dropping where they stood the parents stopped and let them rest.

It took nearly an hour to move to the coop where a new challenge presented itself. The parents hopped in over the 4 inch ledge for the outside pen. But the newborns had zero chance getting over it. Everybody stressed and I started scooping keets while trying to keep from having my hands ripped apart by an irate parent.

Parents and keets are now in the coop resting. I'll leave it that way for a few hours then go out and open it back up for the rest of the flock.

Being able to witness that made the stress of her being on the nest outside worth it.

This hatch, 11 of the 14 eggs in the nest hatched.

There are currently 17 in the coop yet with their Silkie surrogates. Seven of those are old enough for me to shove out to join the main flock.

I hope they're done for the year because I'm not going to let anymore hatch.

Cynthia you know all you need do is let me know and you'll have eggs coming your way. Hope lavender and white works for you.

Last edited:
Congrats Robin!! I just love the little terrors!!!! I have 7 outside that are of a couple different ages and Then I have 14 that are about a month old and then 18 that I hatched about 2 weeks ago. That will be 39 total for me.. lo My DH just shakes his head. I just love them to pieces. I let the older ones free range and they dont go into a coop right now so i loose one once in a while. I guess that is why I plan on keeping all the others. I also plan on training the young ones to go to the coop or at least into the barn and maybe I wont loose to many. They will all be at laying age next year so I will have eggs coming out my ears with that many. There are only 2 males out of the 7 that are out already. I have many wonderful colors too. I cant wait until they start crossing and giving me who knows what new colors. Good luck with the babies. Jenn

You can send your leftover eggs to me!!!!!!! I am wanting keet eggs in the worse way. Everytime I find an ad and call, someone just beat me to it and buy all of them!!!!

Robin, you're an absolute doll! Thank you; you've been the best friend! If I get a broody, I may just take you up on that. I loved my lavender goonie-birds! Hope all the keets stay safe and you don't lose even one.

The husband's eyes got big when I told him I wanted to keep 20 Guineas on a full time basis. I could see him thinking about the noise that 20 birds can make.

nccatnip, we'll talk. I don't know how much the girls are still laying at this point. Maybe we can come up with a dozen eggs before they stop for the year.

Wow Robin, good job! Guineas don't make it easy do they? Thanks for sharing your keet story-I hope that mine will have babies some day. Did your silkies adopt them right away? Were they broody? Maybe I need some silkies. My sister calls guineas slea-stacks (from Land of the Lost). I like the phrase goonie-birds better!

Back
Top Bottom