New Layer - stopped laying after only a few eggs.

RobAFish

Hatching
Jun 3, 2023
I have a new layer that was one of the first to lay in our new flock, she layed eggs for a few weeks. Then she stopped laying eggs. She faithfully goes to sit on the nest every day. But when she comes out then... Nothing. I thought that it was disruption to the flock at first. (One got sick and died, another broody has 3 new chicks, 2 roo chicks were accidently purchased and returned. 2 new chicks in that set stayed and were integrated.) So there was a lot going on. But now a month later after things have settled down, she continues to not lay. She seems happy, The rest of the flock seems happy. Should we wait -or- give up on her. (My wife is just about ready to make soup out of her.)

What breed? Some hens aren't always very productive. Many breeds will lay for a few weeks than quit for a few weeks. More like a natural laying cycle when hens lay to hatch chicks.

If you want more regular production there are breeds that will lay nearly constantly, but they also sometimes burn out young.

Sorry, for the long delay. We do not know the breed. She is a mix to make an olive egger. She is grey with golden on wings and body. I hope you are correct and she starts to lay again soon.

Sorry, for the long delay. We do not know the breed. She is a mix to make an olive egger. She is grey with golden on wings and body. I hope you are correct and she starts to lay again soon.
Olive eggers are poor layers in my experiences with them. Takes more out of them to make the deeper pigments, plus the breeds used aren't often productive breeds to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom