New mama hens are jerks. Wondering if I can raise the chicks myself

CluckinAndTruckin

In the Brooder
Oct 10, 2021
Two sisters I call "the crows" little black banty old English game hens, went broody together and I thought it would be pretty cute for them to raise chicks together. They hatch 11 beautiful chicks over the course of a few days, and leave the nest, so I put the rest of the eggs in the incubator to finish up.

They crushed one right after it hatched, while still wet and one got crushed under the ramp after I moved them to the outdoor brooder. I'm worried about losing more.

Also, They are extremely antisocial with me and whenever I come near will freak out, one time stomping on the baby chicks in the process.

I'm wondering if I can take the moms away and raise the chicks myself, the oldest are probably 4 or five days old, youngest hatched in the incubator last night. Will this have any negative effect on the chicks since they are already imprinted? Will the crows freak out looking for their babies? The broody suite is next to the main run so they can see the older chickens but not get hurt by them, should I block this off til the crows chill out? I want these chicks to like me and I fear if they are raised by the crows they will never be okay withe being near.

Any suggestions?

The mommas are being protective, that's natural. You can win over the peeps with patience but wait until they're weaned, at about 4-5 weeks
I've hatched with broodies plenty and they've never acted quite this mean and attacking. I have another broody raising 11 right now and I let them out every once and a while, and they eat feed out of my hand, and the mama is protective but still accepting of me near. These two are on a totally different level.

I've hatched with broodies plenty and they've never acted quite this mean and attacking. I have another broody raising 11 right now and I let them out every once and a while, and they eat feed out of my hand, and the mama is protective but still accepting of me near. These two are on a totally different level.
Do whatever you think is best, you know your flock best. It might be best to not let the heifers hatch anymore. 😅

I'm wondering if I can take the moms away and raise the chicks myself, the oldest are probably 4 or five days old, youngest hatched in the incubator last night. Will this have any negative effect on the chicks since they are already imprinted? Will the crows freak out looking for their babies? The broody suite is next to the main run so they can see the older chickens but not get hurt by them, should I block this off til the crows chill out? I want these chicks to like me and I fear if they are raised by the crows they will never be okay withe being near.

Any suggestions?
Chicks are not stuck with what they learn from their mother. They could learn to like you later.

But taking them away can also be fine. If you want to do that, I would completely separate them for a few days, so the mothers and babies cannot see or hear each other. That way they will get used to the new situation, rather than pacing the fence and frantically trying to get back together.

The hens probably will freak out, looking for their babies, but only for a day or two. The babies will probably freak out looking for their moms, but again not for very long.

I've raised multuple chicks who were at least a week or two old before I started raising them. It will take them a while to get used to you if they've already imprinted, but it can be done. As long as you feed them and let them cuddle under your hand like they would the mama hen, they'll calm down after a while. It's reintegrating them that's the more challenging part.

Back
Top Bottom