New mother concerned about nutrition

poisonalchemist

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
I am a new duckie mom who bought a <1 year old trio (two ducks one drake) recently. While I had been looking at ducks it was an unexpected seize-the-opportunity sort of thing so I had been feeding them cracked corn where they had been on organic pellets before. Well I have finally found a source for organic pellets, but when I put them in their bowl they acted terrified! It's not just that they aren't eating the pellets because they do not like them, but they seem frightened that something has changed and avoid the food bowl even when I put cracked corn on top. With laying season coming I am worried they won't get proper nutrition, what can I do?

They'll eat them when they get hungry...Then again giving anything as cracked corn as their main staple is never good. It's like giving a toddler potato chips for every meal, and then one day offering them broccoli..they aren't going to like it...Try scattering some pellets on the ground, or in their water...once they eat some and realize it isn't instant death they should start eating them with no problem.

Thank you, I chuckled at "instant death". You would think in all their years of domestication they would be slightly less terrified of everything.

Back
Top Bottom