New Nest Boxes in the 'World Famous Show Coop'

chickeydee and DragonFeathers,

Good evening y'all,
the configuration seen in the picture is 'the summertime set up'.
Both walls {shown} are permanent.
The sides 'shown open' are removable walls for adding on however the weather dictates.
I can put them back on with bailing wire by running it through pre-drilled holes and tying it off.

I can decide to use the bottom half of either 'open side'.
The top half, right or left half...
Fancy huh?
Oh, the corner post bracing isn't welded yet,
and when I can afford it a nylon top belongs 'on top' for
Hawks Owls Coon and Cat.
Yes, my land is very popular with predators.
Coyotes wait in a group in the back pasture
for me to take them their daily dead chicken
or coon carcass.

Thanks for writing...

Jack♥and Sandymay...
{she's a Hound}

Last edited:
Jack, those are great nest boxes and I love the color as well. You have a great friend and I really like his wifes name
wink.png

Do you still have the sides off of your show coop? Where are you located? I am in North Texas and it is pretty chilly here now. We even had some very light snow this morning. My coop is an open design as well but I do have chain link on the open sides to keep out preditors and it has worked very well. I did have an issue this past summer with a couple of "stray" dogs getting in my run but that has been fixed now. I cover two of the open sides of the coop with tarps in the winter to keep the wind off my birds, but one side is still open and they have no problem with the cold. I just added 3 new nesting boxes to my coop and the girls are loving them. I put them in on Monday and they are laying more in them than the old boxes. They are quiet a bit larger and most of my girls are pretty big so they can fit their big booties in them better
D.gif
I hope your girls like theirs just as well.

Chicken Addict,
Jill

Jill,

Yes, the sides are still open because my birds developed 'white' on them.
One hen one day, had a small white spot on a wing feather.
Next thing I knew after trying to breed the white spot out of them,
they were coming out with 'spray painted faces',
or polka dots everywhere!
Rather than breeding the white gene out I,
somehow, intensified it to an absurd extreme.

I sold all my Red chickens and will get a new strain in the spring.
That will give me time to build breeder cages I have planned.
6 of the breeder coops right next to the 'Show Coop'.
8' x 10' same material and same height.
And a big G.Q.F. incubator.
A bunch of grow out cages too.

The 'World Famous Show Coop' is in fact {vacant} at this time.
I still have three colors of O.E.G. Bantums and my Barnvelders
but they live in cages by the house, {the kitchen coops}

I live in Dallas county Ellis county border area.

'Down along the creek'

Thank you...

J. Knife and Sandymay

Last edited:
Jack, sorry to hear you had that problem with your breeding. Right now I have my EEs in a breeding coop and all is going well with them, I have hatched some of their eggs and they are very fertile with nice big healthy babies. I know where you are kinda located, I work in Dallas at a garden center but, I live about 60 miles north of there in Grayson Co. It sounds like you are going to be busy with expanding. I to have some expanding to do but went about it backwards. I got the eggs and hatched them and now need to make some coops for them. My home is 100 yrs. old and I have an old barn that I am going to have to do some repairs on and make 4 separate rooms with attached runs outside. I still have not figured out just how to do it yet tho, and my silkies are growing fast at 6 1/2 weeks old now. Good luck with your construction, I will definitely need some with mine, and give Sandymay a belly rub for me.

Jill

Back
Top Bottom